Saturday 3 October 2020

The Future - My New Plan

It's took a while but the penny has finally dropped!

The current climate and my personal circumstances have taken its toll on my Birding World. That's the way it is. 

My Blog is my Church and will continue to be so...you'll be pleased to hear? Hope you stick with me. Many people I respect do...I know.

I've now managed to miss 3 MEGA birds recently in Scotland. Two on Islands and an extreme skulker on the East Coast. I'm still going through "cold turkey" lol! You know my position. I've had a fantastic run of exhilarating sightings over the last few years which frankly, I doubt I will ever beat, culminating with an ALBATROSS flying over my head in my home County!!! I've swerved between the lanes on the twitchers motorway over the years...but I'm presently...in the hard shoulder! My personal values have been a restriction at times...but that's OK.

So, what's the new plan I hear you cry. It's the "Captian Sensible" plan! (one for the teenagers). Even this plan will be COVID dependent...unfortunately. The virus has altered life in so many ways. The many examples of thoughtless behaviour in these troubled times is very depressing but hardly  surprising. Twitches by their very nature, attract crowds...obviously! You can sort yourself out...but not (some) others. I've never been a "see at all costs" twitcher. Needless flushing, trespassing, hypocrisy...even fighting (there were extenuating circumstances). I've seen it all. It's probably an age thing but my future will be a "plop myself somewhere and see what turns up" strategy. Much more relaxing. I will still travel on occasions depending on...bird and location/circumstance.

It's a marathon not a sprint; where have I heard that before?  My retirement (i.e when we're both retired and commitments are less) list is growing, which is great. As I've told many younger twitchers...don't gobble 'em all up too soon or there'll surely be a dearth of sightings in your old age! Diminishing returns and all that.

As my mate Steve pointed out...2 weeks on Shetland and a couple on Scilly each Autumn should fill most gaps in without the hassle. This is based on longevity of course!! Most have foriegn holidays, so nobody will...see 'em all. I will always have "the bug" but I'm learning to tailor things more these days.

I've stepped back from the continual trawl of social media...it can become addictive you know! It has its uses, don't get me wrong but the repetition/abuse etc is VERY tiresome.

There you go then. I know my place...

1 comment:

Barry Bishop said...

Another good blog post Alan.
Things will change eventualy and the main thing is to still be around when the change comes.
I agree with you survival is the name of the game.
I have spent many a happy week on Shetland watching otters and killer whales, and never seen a crowd!
Keep up the good work with the blog.