Sunday 7 November 2021

VARIED THRUSH - Zoothera!!!

Introduction

If you've followed my ramblings for any length of time you'll know I dont "do" long-winded BUT on this occasion it WILL be a long post. I'm a bit late to the party due to circumstance but I've finally sorted myself out...and got my breath back.  All the superlatives have been shared by now (rightly so). I have to do the occasion and the bird justice, hence the delay in my post. I hope you'll find some interest here, whatever your particular interest in birds is. 


I'm 65 this month (my birthday present came early) and I've been chasing Rare Birds ever since I became aware of this wonderful pastime in the late 80's. My age and the magnitude of this particular record make this a time for reflection. I'll keep it relatively brief...

It all started when I tagged on to John Walton and his mates from Stallingborough, Lincs as they made their Sunday trips to various locations. My first major dip was the GREAT BUSTARDS that roamed East Anglia. If you're going to dip...!!!

Despite this disappointment (I didn't realise the enormity of it at the time) I got the bug I guess. On the other side of the coin I joined them for the DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANT at Charlton's Pond, Billingham in February 1989. As my two boys grew I started to spread my wings (sorry) further afield...as all twitchers do. I saw the RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH in Norfolk yet thought the GOLDEN-WINGED WARBLER in London was ...too far!!! Another big regret. However, I did snap out of it for another MEGA Thrush, namely NAUMANN'S THRUSH. My full chronological list is in the left hand column. Enough name dropping. 

My RUSH Birds list (again see left hand column) has different personal criteria for inclusion. Twitchers know that they're all ONE but some are far more memorable than others...for various reasons. Many are frankly....dull; some can't even be identified in the field! Rarity value. Views can range from "tickable" to "crippling". Some you just turn up and see, others appear as if by magic. The latter is obviously far more exhilerating...hence my decision to have the BBA at Number 1 and the NIGHTHAWK at Number 2. Click for full story. More on this later.

Emotions range widely when twitching...excitement, surprise, uncertainty, frustration, exhilaration, crushing disappointment aka DIP...a sickening feeling indeed. 

Over the years I've twitched birds far and wide in Britain (I don't do Ireland). Some before work, some after work but never instead of work...which has cost me quite a few ticks. I've missed birds through Holidays and Family situations. I also missed some through COVID and I've even turned birds down that I didn't fancy...this wasn't going to be one of them!

Thrushes are top birds. Even the humble (male) Blackbird is a cracker in my book. Zoothera's are enigmatic birds from far away. The two Siberian visitors are much sought after and hard to "get". So, to have this New World counterpart, which seems to be a composite of all classic field marks, hopping around in the open on an Orcadian lawn was er...AMAZING!!! Better looking also.

Below then is my complete account of my twitch...

I guess this yarn was kicked off with this news on Wednesday (October 27th) evening, as we were preparing to head from the Atlantic pub on St Mary's...


6.32pm MEGA Orkney VARIED THRUSH Papa Westray


species of almost mythical status in British Birding circles. Even more so when you consider the plumage of the 1982 Cornwall bird. One of those birds you dream of seeing when you first flick through the Rarity publications, to consider what you might see one day. I've two records of three birds in the ABA area. I saw two birds briefly in thick cover at Sue-Meg SP, Northern California in August 2005. I also had a brief view of one in Homer, Alaska in August 2007. I was hoping to get better views on this occasion. It breeds in dense coniferous forest and is a notorious skulker. Whilst on Papa Westray I heard a rumour a wealthy admirer had flown across from the States to see it! I don't know how credible that story is?

"Wallop" was the message I sent to pals. One of the true greats had arrived!!! I decided to select this one. 

We had a lovely meal and I sunk some Tribute. Thursday dawned and the bird was still present. I wasn't leaving...especially by plane, as it was foggy. However I took a punt and grabbed the last flight from Kirkwall to Papa Westray on Sunday afternoon. I also provisionally booked a couple of nights in the Papa Hostel which I'd visited on two previous occasions you may recall. The Scillonian sailed in the afternoon but I didn't feel pre-occupied and we had another great day on the Islands. We were leaving on Friday on the 3.25 flight...hopefully.

Friday started with us packing before heading for a coffee. Here's a thought. Within a mile or so of Hugh Town before I returned for our taxi at 2pm the following birds were available...on foot.

Sub-Alpine Warbler sp
Olive-backed Pipit
Rose-coloured Starling
Yellow-browed Warbler
Red-breasted Flycatcher
Woodlark
Water Pipit
Siberian Chiffchaff
Brambling

Scilly isn't what it used to be?

We thankfully left on time and were soon coming in to land at Lands End...


...after some "fun" with the "improved" car park payment system we filled up the car in Penzance and headed East. Some congestion in Bristol then onto the services for a meal. Driver swap at the services, then North up the M6 towards Bury...and into horrendous lane restrictions due to Smart Motorway upgrade work. THREE one lane sections which meant we arrived at my Mother's at 2am. We spent Saturday morning and early afternoon catching up with family before Louise drove us home. I was focussing now on more positive news. Maybe I'd get a shot tomorrow afternoon?

The Journey

After sorting things out and having a couple of hours rest I set off West then North with the full backing of my wonderful wife Louise. This journey was mercifully uneventful and I arrived at my chosen lay-by North of Perth around 11.30pm. I managed to get some kip and woke to my alarm at 5am. After an Inverness pit stop...

A McDonald's dawn

...I continued North for the Ferry from Scrabster to Stromness at Noon. I reached my destination in plenty of time, parked up and boarded the Ferry...



...after checking my Taxi would be waiting for me...twice!

The Taxi driver was great company and he made good time across the Mainland to have me at the Airport at 2.30. After checking in I turned to sit down and met...two other Birders! Namely Douglas Bowker (quite a character) and Marcus Brew. I'd messaged David Roche the local Birder and finder, to ask if he might be able to pick us up. He said he'd do his best but he also had to take some chaps down to the Quay for the boat. It was going to be tight as we'd lost an hour with the clocks going back. The flight passed quickly giving spectacular views of the Islands...


Coming into land...


Thankfully David pulled up just as we arrived! We threw our gear in the back of his truck and he drove us quickly down to the track to the Bungalow saving us a precious 20 minutes. 

We walked the short distance to the site. This was the moment then...crunch time. If we didn't see it before dusk it would be a tense and uncomfortable night in the Hostel wondering if it would remain for us!? David joined us to look for the bird which was appreciated...

L to R David, Douglas and Marcus

After a few anxious minutes we had the bird...there it was...on the lawn!!!

WUNDERBAR!!!

The relief pic at 3.42pm

We moved around the perimeter of the property and enjoyed further views in the fading light...

A twilight BOC shot at 4.09pm...

What a Bird!!!

Michael McKee was also present having also made his way up from Scilly and managing to get across on a returning Charter boat. Top Work! He was also staying at the Hostel.

Initially I'd booked a single night in the Hostel and a return flight Monday morning. I was now so glad I'd extended my visit till Tuesday...I just needed the bird to remain overnight? At least I'd have a relaxing evening having connected. David drove us back to the Hostel and opened the shop for us. After settling in I joined the chaps and even shared a bottle of red wine with Marcus, not my usual tipple but this was a VERY special occasion!

Monday November 1st - A Special Day

I have to admit I didn't shoot down to the site first thing. After covering the length of Britain and having seen the bird yesterday I decided to play it (relatively) cool! Waking to the fact I was possibly 400 yards from one of the rarest and most stunning birds you could wish to see in Britain, was somewhat surreal. 

News came through...

07.33 MEGA Orkney VARIED THRUSH still Papa Westray at Links by house

I had ALL day. 

Again, if you're into this game, you'll know how stressful the logistics and unpredictable nature of the bird can be....amongst other considerations. I've done my bit over the years and now it's my turn. Time to relax and enjoy without having to rush back for whatever reason. I was going to make the most of this momentous occasion. Appreciation being the key.

I arrived on site just after 9...



The first boat load had just arrived...The bird was showing on the lawn at mid-distance much to the relief of the new arrivals. The light wasn't great and the forecast (for what it was worth) dodgy. Still, it was fine for now and everyone was happy. I'm not a fan of "death by photograph" but I thought on this occasion I'd post a selection of pics I took throughout the day to give a flavour of the occasion. Hopefully not too OTT!

A (relatively) early view at 9.29am...


The bird was active and looked in good health as it flew to different areas of the garden, including walls and gates...






The bird put on a fine show but kept its distance in the dull conditions. The morning progressed and more twitchers came and went... 

Imagine the numbers on the Mainland!

The bird did disappear on occasions into the long grass to the East of the property, adding to the tension for those with limited time but happily, everyone saw the bird eventually...

11.42am

It was nice to finally meet Cliff Smith, a solid chap. It was now past Midday but the sun just wouldn't break through, as I was hoping. Michael had the same hopes as I did. There was a hint that the clouds were breaking up as 1pm passed.

Just prior to 2pm the sun broke through just as the bird gave its best views of the whole day. It was like the curtains opening at the theatre! It was "as good as it gets". 

I've tried hard to narrow down my photos of this amazing bird and give a range of poses...hope you like them...click the pic...

The approach...


An elongated pose...



A classic Thrush pose

A rear view...


...and away..


I returned to the Hostel for 3pm to get some much needed refreshment before returning for the last hour. Three Geordie Birders left for the boat at 4 leaving me alone with the bird till I left at 4.25pm. I made my contribution to the bucket and headed back to the Hostel. My final image...


It departed overnight as the wind swung NW making me the last Birder to see the bird...until the next one!

Reflections
Two debates as old as the hills...Yank v Sibe and Scilly v Shetland. You know my position, the former on both counts. Ironically this jewel turned up on Orkney! It was brilliant to visit Papa Westray again...


...and renew some old acquaintances. It was great to see Jennifer again, a great host and thanks to Ann for giving me a lift to Kirkwall from the Airport on my return. Douglas was a fascinating character and we hope to keep in touch. The friendly atmosphere on the Island only added to the experience. The fact that the Airport, Hostel and bird were all within half a mile was...handy! I'm aware there's always a "gripping" element to a tale like this but I like to think I put some effort in here. Arguably some as good...but none better in my book. A magical, mystical memory.

Some prefer subtle and that's fine, I don't mind myself! However, I also like stunning...


Still not sure where to put it in my Top 10...but it's right up there!

No comments: