Saturday 24 October 2020

Scilly 2020 - Day 6

10am: Grim morning weather-wise but every day is precious here..so out I go. Spent 90 minutes around the "Dump-clump"...

My first visit but no luck in heavy rain. Droplets on leaves didn't help. Yellow-browed Warblers have been reported daily here....and were reported after I left lol! I also found out my second " waterproof" jacket... isn't. So, both Country Innovations and Timberland have disappointed? Fortunately, I got them off eBay for a bargain (maybe that's why they were). It doesn't solve my problem though.

A time of contemplation while I have a bite to eat...

British tick or Birding holiday? Both please!!! My best possible combination... is right here. The BIG one might turn up elsewhere but that's far outweighed for me by the Scilly experience. So many great memories on these Islands and there's a good chance it will turn up here. If not, there's always birds to build a day around here...in beautiful scenery.

Time to get back out there...


2pm: ...I got back out there and spent the afternoon on Peninnis...

View over Old Town

The weather thankfully improved but only slightly! An Olive-backed Pipit had been reported but unsurprisingly I couldn't re-locate it...nor could anyone else. I spent some time "down the end"...

...with the Snow Bunting...

Nothing new was seen today. Thought I might sneak a Ring Ouzel...or a Skylark! Late afternoon though...

MEGA Scilly ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK Gugh at 4.30pm

I've been fortunate enough to see two here previously in 2008 (St Agnes) and 2019 (St Martin's). There's a boat going over early tomorrow. Not sure what to do. I'll sleep on it. Some serious westerlies coming this week. Looks VERY promising...in theory. 

Don't expect................

No comments: