Tuesday 27 October 2020

Scilly 2020 - Day 9

I returned to Little Porth first thing to check out the bay and gardens (I once had a sp Red-throated Pipit here) and maybe get another view of the atypical Nightingale. There was a heavy drizzle which was actually quite refreshing...it woke me up!

A couple of late Swallows were feeding low over the seaweed that had been thrown onto the beach by the rough seas of late. 3 Whimbrel were also present. There were also a couple of Stonechats present, one a smart male...


No sign of the Nightingale though. I returned home for breakfast and of course news came through that it had been seen. There you go! We then had a stroll to Porthloo beach. Louise sat and read while I searched the beach and surrounding bushes. A Dusky Warbler had been present here for quite some time but I hadn't seen it and today was no different. Not a big surprise. However, I did add Turnstone (73) and Lesser Black-backed Gull (74) to the trip list. I birded my way to the Longstones Cafe in the centre of the Island with 3 Fieldfares and a Redwing the only birds of note. The Cafe area never produced the hoped for Crossbill fly-over. We then trickled our way back towards Hugh Town via Rocky Hills and Lower Moors...but nothing of note was seen.

After a brew at the flat we found a bench on Porthcressa Beach for the last hour and I searched for the Nightingale again (to no avail), also checking the beach. There were at least 20 Rock Pipits present...

plus 3 more Turnstones. Then...late news! A Grey Phalarope had been seen in "the Roads"...a stretch of water between St Mary's and Tresco) I spent till dusk grilling the rough sea but unsurprisingly I couldn't locate it.

Species 74

......................................................................................

Twitchers were in evidence today, for obvious reasons. The WhatsApp group was hot early doors but there was no sign of the IB. Coming back from the Co-op with supplies I saw a familiar face having a cig' outside his digs. It was Al Orton. I'd seen him at various twitches over the years but never had chance for a chat. He was just about ready to go over to St Agnes. After sharing a few thoughts I wished him all the very best of luck...

Troops leaving for St Agnes at 10.15

Alas, the bird wasn't seen all day, a huge disappointment for all who'd travelled...again, obviously!

As always with twitches, rumours abound and I don't like 'em. There seems to be a case that "some" got too close and maybe the bird was flushed. As I was leaving on Sunday for the boat a small remaining group seemed uncomfortably close...yet it was there Monday morning. It always concerns me when you see the message "showing to a few feet". Should you be a few feet away? Nope. I know we've been here before...but if I was travelling down at much expense and effort to hear this...I wouldn't be happy...to put it mildly!!! Who would? Another cracker is..."It wasn't bothered!" Thing is...how do you know that until you encroach?...in which time, it could fly off!

There you go...it's a game!
 

No comments: