Tuesday 27 September 2022

COMMON NIGHTHAWK

Topical addition with yesterday's sighting...In order to place this account in my Top Ten folder (see right hand column) it seems I have to post it again! Wouldn't mind another this Year!


I've written this piece before...but I've no idea where it is, so I'm repeating it! It was way before I started the Blog. I've decided to list my Top Ten...with yarns. 

Fortunately I can remember it like yesterday. Funny that! It was the 24th of October 1999. I was having my breakfast in my digs on St Mary's when a neighbour came round to speak to Gerry, the owner. He also drove the bus around the Island and was a grand chap, his wife Pat was also a lovely lady. The neighbour saw me (I was looking at a juv Rose-coloured Starling in the apple tree across the road!) and mentioned a report of a possible NIGHTHAWK around the Fraggle Rock Pub on Bryher!!!

I didn't have a Pager and hadn't been to the Log the previous evening...tut tut! Also pre-internet...and all the better for it. Anyway this report was enough to make me shovel my Full English down and head for the Quay.  A surprisingly small number of Birders had the same idea? The day was spent walking the Island, hoping I...or someone else, might flush the bird...if it existed!? By mid-afternoon I was knackered after roaming the heather.

It was nearly time for the boat at 4.30 and there was still no sign of the bird. Some of the chaps had radios and there was still hope, especially as the light was fading. Then came the haunting call over the CB that has remained with me for 23 years..."IT'S HERE"!!!

The problem was...where?
 
Things were rather tense now, as around 30 Birders, spread over quite an area, scanned furiously to try and get "on it". Then...I saw it!!!!!! It was gliding low beneath me, as I was stood on the hill to the South. WHAT a moment that was...as I'm sure you can appreciate...if this is your "thing"!? It continued to hunt around the Pub as the light faded. MAGICAL!

My last memory was the eerie views of THREE boats approaching from St Mary's in the fading light with spotlight blazing. Quite a sight. One of many reasons why I love these Islands.

This enigmatic species is a much sought after bird and symbolizes the very essence of a MEGA. I think I'm correct in saying this was the last long-stayer in Britain (twitchable bird) as it stayed until the 30th! I don't DO Ireland. There have been others but all were one day brief sightings, Some retrospective. So, we ARE due another!?

I'm more than happy for this record to sit at the top of my chart with BLACK-BROWED ALBATROSS and VARIED THRUSH.

No comments: