Friday 3 July 2020

BLACK-BROWED ALBATROSS

On one of my first trips to Filey in 1987, I was stood at the end of the Brigg watching a Little Gull that had been pointed out to me (dark underwing) when a shout went up...ALBATROSS! I scanned and scanned but nothing was seen? Partly due to not knowing what I would be looking at! Something BIG I guess.

Fast forward to May 2008 when I took part in a trip to Sula Sgeir in the Outer Hebrides organised by Rare Bird Alert. A fantastic adventure but alas no ALBATROSS.

Onto Bempton in October 2016 when one was seen at Bempton when birders were enjoying an EASTERN-CROWNED WARBLER. A double-whammy as they say. Yours truly was on The Uists dipping an EASTERN KINGBIRD.

A year later I was at work when I received a call form Trevor Charlton, again at Bempton, to inform me an ALBATROSS was sat on the cliffs!!! Needless...to say, I didn't make it.

Fast forward to yesterday evening, it was Trevor again. This time I was sat at home watching TV with Louise and my son Robert who was over for a visit. He informed me an ALBATROSS had just flown North past Bempton! This wasn't ideal timing with my lad going back to Dubai on Wednesday. I didn't mention it. Shortly after...a message...

17.14 BLACK-BROWED ALBATROSS Bempton sat on cliff at New Roll-up Viewpoint

I put my proposal to my son...and we were...OFF!!! We made good time due to light traffic. Of course the bird had been flushed from its perch by agitated Gannets. We joined Trevor and a handful of hopefuls and waited...and waited. No joy but Robert enjoyed the Seabird spectacle and I enjoyed spending quality time with my son...


Onto today...early. 6.15 and the phone "went". Louise beat me to it...which isn't difficult at this hour. It was Trevor again which could only mean one thing! BBA. I was supposed to be taking Robert over to Doncaster to meet his Mother and Brother for 9. After a brief meeting Louise offered to take him and Robert was fine with it. I wasn't entirely happy but they convinced me it was OK. Sod's Law or is it Murphy's?

Even better time was made this time at this early hour. Not quick enough unfortunately as the bird had disappeared again. A report of it being sat on the cliff was erroneous (as they say). Again, I joined Trevor and a few more hopefuls...at a safe distance of course. Some had gambled, went early (as I would have done if my son hadn't have been visiting) and scored. Nice strategy.

The weather was turning nasty...and I was in my shorts and sandals! In my defence I'd left in rather a hurry (you don't check the weather forecast under these circumstances)...and it is July!

I now had the familiar waiting game. It's a long day at this time of year. By 9 I was feeling it. The wind was strong and the rain was heavier. Trevor left for refreshment...I didn't dare. Phil Jones and Steve Lawton were on their way and Haydn was coming later when he had a break in his work schedule. 9.30 and I cracked. I headed back to the car to warm up. I know...risky/stupid...but necessary.

As I reached the car Phil appeared and obviously wondered where I was going! I explained and said I'd join him in a while. The situation was compounded by there being no signal in my car. After I'd warmed up I decided (dubiously) to drive out of the car park, so I could update my phone messages. The good news was there had been no further sightings, the bad news was I'd almost certainly lost my space. There was a moment here when, I admit, I was tempted to abort. My past history, another couple of dips and the poor weather tested my fortitude. Fortunately I'm stubborn, very stubborn.

I returned to the Grandstand viewpoint and joined Phil. Birders were understandably arriving and things were starting to get cosy, which obviously wasn't ideal in the current climate. Fortunately there's plenty of room at Bempton and there are numerous viewpoints, which helped to spread the troops out.

It was now turned 11 and fortunately the rain had abated. Then one chap stated he'd received a message saying the bird was heading South from the Reighton area. Exciting! We could see the viewpoint to the North at Bartlett Nab and all eyes were fixed on the Birders there. It became obvious they were..."focussed". Even more obvious when they turned around and started looking TOWARDS us!!!

Then a shout..."there it is"! I was looking out to sea and that was my mistake, as there it was drifting right towards us at eye level along the cliff edge. MAGICAL. I didn't get any decent pics but it didn't matter (there may be one or two on-line), the images are embedded in my head. The view was more important than an image. I'll never forget the sight of an ALBATROSS gliding towards me, so close to home. Etched in my brain...forever. A pic courtesy of Phil...

BLACK-BROWED ALBATROSS

There you go. It was my turn at last and well worth the wait. Another major piece in my retirement plan jigsaw.

My BUBO badge has never shone brighter..

6 comments:

Steve L said...

You missed off the Cornwall dip. Well deserved tick!

Alan Whitehead said...

That's true! I must have erased it from my memory! Cheers pal.

Rob said...

Excellent read and glad that you got to see it at last. Great to spend some quality time with you Dad x

Alan Whitehead said...

High praise indeed pal. Means a lot. Glad we could share the time.

Paul Foster said...

Nice one Alan,certainly pays to be 'stubborn', well earned pal!

Ps see you back in Cyprus someday!!

Alan Whitehead said...

Cheers Paul. I hope to return one Spring...soon!