Wednesday 28 October 2020

Scilly 2020 - Day 10

Morning constitutional at Little Porth again. No sign of the Nightingale (it is still here apparently)...again! The smart Stonechat was just waking up and having a stretch...

After breakfast we headed down the Garrison towards Morning Point via Lower Broome (check and re-check and all that). On the way down a Birder informed us he'd seen a Great Northern Diver in Porthcressa Bay. After around 10 minutes I located it. It was tricky with the large swell and the bird was constantly diving...as they do! I decided to continue to MP to hopefully get a closer view. On arrival we got our first taste of the strong Westerly winds that were to persist for the whole day...and hopefully bring us all a nice present...shortly?

The Diver was on the far side of the bay near these rocks, being pushed there by the wind...

Anyway I managed a few pics. It had retained its fine summer plumage...

GND (75)

The camera did well considering the distance and conditions. I also managed to locate the lingering Yellow-legged Gull (76) off the point...a Scilly tick to boot (221). News came through that a juvenile Glaucous Gull had been seen in "the Roads". Shortly afterwards Paul Freestone (the finder) appeared over the hill with a pal. We all searched for the bird but it transpired it had flown over to St Agnes!

A couple of pics of the swell...

The horizon

After lunch we decided to have a peep at the sea swell from Town Bay which gives a great view of the quay. High tide was 3pm so we waited in the shelter as it was raining hard and I could watch "the roads" with my 'scope. The waves were already coming over the harbour wall. The sea off Bryher and Samson looked spectacular...

No birds of note were seen. Around 4 we headed for Old Town to have a break from the wind! I stopped off at the Dump Clump. Mick Turton was there and he'd located a YBW which he kindly put me on. I then joined Louise in Old Town. A Greenshank swimming in the bay was unusual...


I birded the Churchyard until dusk but didn't have any luck. A Short-toed Lark and an Iceland Gull were also reported but I didn't try for either due to time and distance.

3 days left in favourable conditions. I intend to make the most of it...

Species 76


No comments: