Friday 30 October 2020

Scilly 2020 - Day 12

Brief one tonight on the phone as we're out of the flat and back on the B&B for our last night...

Poor weather today which made Birding difficult. I said goodbye to a few pals who were leaving at 1.30 on the Scillonian...

Looks good...from a distance!

Thankfully the wind had dropped so hopefully a decent crossing for all. Another session at Lower Broome came to nothing and was aborted due to heavy rain.

News of the Iceland Gull late morning in Old Town bay, heading towards Peninnis pricked the ears up but despite scanning from the shelter at Porthcressa, it came to nothing. Maybe tomorrow?

After watching the Scillonian depart, I persuaded Louise to take her first boat trip as most people had left on the 1.30! There were only SIX people on the boat to Tresco. I did have an alterior motive (as usual), as 8 Cattle Egrets had been seen there. They were first spotted on St Agnes.

I had some directions from the WhatsApp group so we headed for the fields North West of the Great Pool. As we started walking down Pool Road I glanced to my left and there in the distance were 2 Cattle Egrets (Scilly 223). The gamble in the rain had paid off! Despite searching we couldn't re-locate them or any others for that matter. I ddi pause for a minute at the site of my AMERICAN ROBIN Scilly tick in 2006...

Lucky. I had a go for the Lesser Yellowlegs on Abbey Pool but the visibility was poor in the mist and heavy drizzle. However, I had seen this species on this Island previously.

On the way back to the boat I added a few trip ticks on the Great Pool. We'd made the most of a rainy day...it's still a day on Scilly though!

Species 82

No comments: