Monday 26 October 2020

Scilly 2020 - Day 8

7am: Down at Peninnis Lighthouse for dawn...

Lovely morning, if a little breezy! As always, hoping for something "good" but could only see Kittiwakes (68)...some close in...

and Guillemots. (69)

The Day: After a freshen up at the flat we made our way down to the dump clump...again. Louise carried on to read at Old Town Bay and I searched for a YBW. As I waited a birder emerged from the bushes, it was a face I recognised from previous trips. A teacher from Cornwall who's name escapes me. I asked if he'd had any luck but he hadn't. We shared a few teaching anecdotes then he picked up a call. We both saw the bird briefly (70) before it disappeared back into the undergrowth. Very unsatisfactory.

I gave it another 30 minutes before heading for Old Town. Ten Redwings feeding on the football pitch was a fine sight...

Lunch followed in the Old Town Inn. Time for a walk now, so we made our way to Porth Hellick via Salikee Farm. I could hear Greenshanks as we approached and sure enough 5 were present and just viewable from the path as the hides were closed...

No sign of the obligatory Jack Snipe. I did pick up my first Moorhen (71). News of "an interesting Acro" filtered through via WhattsApp. We hadn't visited Holy Vale yet so we decided to pass through on the way to Newford Duck Pond. Half way along the trail a Water Rail (72) squelled. I then heard someone approaching behind us. It was Simon Slade a Birder I've known for a few years through twitching. It was good to see him again. He had the same idea, so we continued towards the Duck Pond sharing few stories. No sign of anything when we arrived, including Birders! Simon eventually left and we departed shortly after.

I spent the last hour trying to add Mistle Thrush to the trip list and find a First for Britain of course! I passed a barn...

...which brought back great memories. I once saw a Snowy Owl (29/10/08) perched on it ! The bird had flown across from St Agnes and around Peninnis...whilst we were on it. Now that WOULD have been a sight to see!!! 


*Unusually the INDIGO BUNTING disappeared mid-afternoon, disappointing twitchers who arrived on afternoon transport. Hopefully, it will re-appear in the morning? Talking to Birders on the Island, I was surprised how many seasoned individuals didn't see the Ramsey Island bird. I must be older then I thought! Strange feeling seeing my second of three records. Helluva Scilly tick though!!


No comments: