Friday 14 October 2022

Scilly 22 - Day 1 : BLACKBURNIAN WARBLER

Things worked out rather well...eventually.

I pulled over yesterday afternoon as we left the M5 at Exeter just to check my messages...as you do...


13.08 MEGA Scilly BLACKBURNIAN WARBLER Bryher at Popplestone Fields


I must admit I saw the Species immediately but not the location; when I did, I thought...that's handy...hopefully? There was obviously NO CHANCE of getting across on the day but fortunately we were on the first flight Friday...weather permitting? After finding our Air B&B in Penzance we enjoyed a great meal at the Dolphin...highly  recommended...


Up early at 5.45 and heading for Land's End Airport. We arrived just after 7. As I walked in I bumped into Steve Webb who informed me that there was a problem with the weather! It was clear at LE...

7.28

...and St Mary's but apparently there was fog at Newquay, the "back up" Airport? News to me. We had plenty of time and the girl behind the desk advised us to wait for the Pilots to arrive for a weather update. Steve, John Hewitt and Mick Denney decided to head back to Penzance and take the Scillonian. IF our flight was cancelled, we would be transferred to Penzance to join them...and many others. Thankfully at 7.45 we got the shout to check our baggage in..."quite a relief" is an understatement! 

At 7.57 news came through that the Bird was still present! I admit to giving a loud YES!!!... in the departure lounge! 

We landed at St Mary's at 8.35 and were transferred to our flat. We couldn't get in till lunchtime, so we left our cases in the hallway, Louise headed for a Cafe and I headed for the Quay and got my ticket for the 10.15. It was now just after 9.

I could see a large group of Birders who I initially/understandably thought were waiting for a boat to Bryher. Turns out they were going out on a Pelagic. I walked past them only to see another small group. I recognised Dan Pointon, Chris Batty and John Pegden. Dan informed me they were waiting for a Charter boat and would I like to join them. I think you can guess the answer!!


A rather exciting and exhilarating crossing to Bryher. The chaps left me in their wake as we climbed the steep hill from the Quay (I've lost a yard or two over the years) but I managed to keep them in sight and eventually arrived at Popplestone Fields. I reckon there was around 50 present. The vegetation was dense with plenty of the classic Pittosporum mixed in with Alders. After 30 minutes there were no sightings. Then, a sighting from around the back of the hedges but despite another intensive search, no further sign. I returned to the original "stake-out"...


10.26...my first view...


Now then, there may be one or two pics on-line of this Bird! My "two-penneth" is to give a few "atmosphere shots" mainly because that's all I got! I've never heard so many Oohs and Aahs at a twitch. The appreciative, well-behaved audience were truly lapping this one up. Rightly so. The Bird was VERY active and kept in the shadows most of the time. The weather was typically mild BUT more importantly dry and calm. Anyway, here are a series of images that hopefully give you an idea of how highly active, this "Jewel of a Bird" was...


I had stunning views through my Trinnies.

There was a Boat back at 12.45 which I took...




...and joined Louise for Lunch. I've had worse mornings!

Having just returned from the Atlantic, I have never seen so many happy Birders throughout the afternoon and evening. A truly great day for all concerned, as no doubt, was yesterday . Maybe not quite as manic today but also slightly less electricity. Whatever, everyone is happy to see one of the True Greats of British Birding. One of those Species you dream of seeing when you first flick through the Rare Bird Journals. The fact it turned up on my beloved Scilly and I connected on the first day of our trip, was the "icing on the cake". It's not JUST about list building (I'll never be in Europe!) for me, it's about savouring the moments of these monumental days, especially here! "My" NIGHTHAWK was also on Bryher (see right hand column for another yarn). The stuff of Legend.

Late afternoon we just sat on a bench in the sunshine at Porthcressa Bay and I just  thought to myself...what a great place to be.

These occasions "fuel me". A few more to highlight the acrobatic nature of the Bird...



Bliss...


This Bird might take some beating over the next Fortnight...BUT you never know, do you?


No comments: