Saturday 17 October 2020

Some you win...

After my COVID dip trio...we've done that...I've stepped back into the game with a nice double this week. My personal position is just that...to each their own...

Two mainland birds in suitable situations...IMHO...

So, to Thursday...early, at Trow Quarry, Co Durham...

TAIGA FLYCATCHER

Seen first thing from a spacious vantage point (of course)...then exit stage left! I missed the Flamborough bird of April 2003, as I was in Texas.  A far smarter Spring individual. Not complaining...a tick's a tick. I'd been to this location before for the EASTERN-CROWNED WARBLER...so I knew there was plenty of room.


Now to this morning...

MEGA Norfolk RUFOUS BUSH CHAT Stiffkey Campsite Wood just east of car park at 7.23am

One of those birds that you fancied when you first scanned through the books, when you first started dreaming of rarities...for me. My plan was to set off and see how the land lied as the morning developed. It was going to be BUSY with the first twitchable bird since 1963...apparently.

Negative news at 8.54am?

9.40 RUFOUS BUSH CHAT again on saltmarsh near car park

That sounds better than a wood...onward.

I arrived just after Noon. Parking was going to be a problem! Eventually I found a space at the far side of the Village. After "kitting up" I started the trek back to the coast. Fortunately I found a short cut as Birders were returning to their cars. Once I reached the marsh it wasn't going to be difficult to find the admirers. As I started to walk out onto the Marsh I was really glad I put my Muck Boots on, as it was a mud bath. I weighed up the best position to view from and made my way to a space. The bird had taken up temporary residence in a small area of vegetation, which was thankfully across a channel in the Marsh.

Anyway after around 30 minutes the bird decided to show itself to all by resting out in the open...

That will do me! I made my exit...happy. Island or Mainland...always a dilemma. There'll be many on Islands at the moment wishing they were on the Mainland. You pays yer money...I was VERY fortunate with the timing of these two occurences in the week before...see below...

..........................................................................................

That's that then. All aspects of our trip checked. We ARE welcome, so we're going...to Scilly!!! Driving down to Penzance tomorrow. An overnight stop, then over on the first flight Monday. Then it's just...see what turns up over the next 13 days. Simple!?

I'll be doing a diary that you may...or may not, want to follow...

No comments: