Monday 21 October 2019

Quest for a YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO

Various sightings from St Mary's had been posted since early October but "intermittent and VERY elusive" seemed to be the predictable scenario. Add to this the track record for longevity of this species and my chances of connecting remained slim, I felt. Ironic that one long-staying BLACK-BILLED CUCKOO (North Uist, May 2016) has meant that most twitchers have this species on their list, including me, while some of us are still chasing the more frequently occurring YB! Oh and by the way, it's a lovely placid looking thing and one of my favourite species I enjoy watching in Texas.

A brief summary of earlier movements...

I drove through the night early Monday to Hentervene Holiday Park near Bude after an encouraging update late Sunday. After some initial confusion pre-dawn I found the site and parked up...




I think this is what you call an encouraging sign! I made a £10 donation to the Cornwall Air Ambulance. I have a link!
I had a good walk around the thankfully small site trying to figure out which tree the photo was taken in...


Around 9am I bumped into the manager. Nice chap who put me in the picture and led me to the area were it had been seen up until 11 yesterday. He said he'd seen and photographed an "unusual bird". After sharing the sighting with friends the scenario developed but not fast enough to allow a Sunday twitch. It was a lovely secluded spot but despite giving it till noon and covering the area thoroughly, I couldn't locate it...


News that the Scilly bird was still present didn't help matters!! You may remember my past track record? I was the only Birder present. Home James.

... I did consider an attempt but the combination of having my "friend" and working next day made this impossible.

Fast forward to Tuesday...

After the morning run, I was just leaving the Docs when the message came through that the Scilly YBC was still present! Of course, I wasn't at home and didn't trust the phone (an age thing) so I made my way back home, rather hastily, and reached for the laptop. Flights available early Wednesday...BUT...the website had frozen!!! Always relaxing twitching? By the time it was active again the flights had gone and I was looking at a 12.30 departure. Oh dear, I said! I took it anyway. Also, the late return had gone on Thursday, so now I only had till 2pm. My window had shrunk somewhat, just to add to the excitement?

I sorted the kennels, accommodation and shift change out before doing the afternoon run. Returning home around 4.30 I had a moment of inspiration and decided to have another look at the Skybus website for a cancellation...Wednesday 9.30...an available flight! No messing this time, I rang direct and grabbed the seat. I also managed to get a return flight on Thursday at 5.30. My window had just got bigger! The significance of this will eventually become apparent. After dropping Bud off I returned home to pack my gear. After having a meal with Louise I headed South West....again!

I parked up around 7.30am at Lands End airport (after grabbing a couple of hours kip) and made my way into the terminal. After making a forlorn enquiry regarding an even earlier cancellation (don't ask, don't get) I took a seat and waited for my flight. Positive news...
Scilly YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO still St Mary's at Dump Clump

I'd arranged a taxi to pick me up and I was soon walking towards the said "clump". It was now 10.10 but as I reached the DC it  became clear that the bird wasn't showing, in fact a birder with a radio told me it had been reported by Shooters Pool at Lower Moors! I set off again (with all my clobber). When I reached SP I was met with the same glum scenario. All my initial enthusiasm was starting to draining away...slightly. It didn't help when a couple of chaps informed me they'd been trying to see it for the past WEEK!!!

I walked out into the open from SP towards the Lower Moors hides and joined a small group of hopefuls on the boardwalk. The group included Sam Viles and Kro Malik. On the plus side the weather was excellent, sunny with little wind. It was now 11.15. Then an encouraging shout..."I've got it"!!! Sure enough there it was ,after all these years..."my"...
YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO

After much fumbling I managed a pic!
I reckon the bird was around 40 yards away and constantly moving through the vegetation. I guess you can imagine how I felt!!! The bird was present on and off for around 5 minutes before disappearing in the direction of SP. As far as I'm aware this was the last reliable sighting of the bird on the day and it hasn't been seen subsequently. Now you see the significance of my good fortune regarding the flights! I'm trying not to think about not getting the time changes and arriving at 1pm!!!!!!

After sharing the euphoria with the Birders present I made my way down to the quay for the 1pm boat to St Martin's. The second part of the twitch was about to commence, if in a far more relaxed fashion. On arriving the group disembarked and subsequently disappeared at a good pace. I still had all my clobber (I was beginning to think I'd brought an anvil with me!) and I've lost a yard or two over the years! My main focus had been the YBC as I'd seen the second target once before on St Agnes in October 2008....but that's another story!

Fortunately I managed to figure out the area concerned and started the yomp to the other end of the island (still carrying...). I was rather tired (aka knackered) on arrival, so I picked a spot near the Bakery and waited. The ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK had been seen at numerous locations in the area but didn't hang around at any of them. A challenge! After a few shouts and half-hearted attempts to get to where the bird had been seen I remained determined to "sit it out". The return boat was at 4.30 and mercifully it was from the higher quay, just across from the adjacent cricket pitch. However there was a significant descent to said cricket pitch apparently. I then bumped into the Harringtons. After a chat we swapped numbers and said we'd let each other know if we got lucky. They headed for the cricket pitch while other Birders were still at the quarry.

Around 3.45 a group of Birders passed in a bit of a hurry. News of a sighting by the cricket pitch. Despite the aforesaid slope, for some reason this time, I decided to join them. Another piece of luck/good decision. I just managed to get on the bird before it flew off yet again. The Harringtons had rung me but I was halfway down the hill at the time. Thanks anyway!




Things were going well you might say! I made the mercifully short walk to the Quay and enjoyed a wonderful journey back to St Mary's in the late afternoon sunshine still glowing from my success...



On returning to St Mary's I was going to call it a day and check in...but no...I headed up onto the west side of Peninnis Head to try for the BLUE ROCK THRUSH which would be a Scilly tick. Well, got to make the most of the available daylight and fine weather. I gave it till dusk before retiring defeated to the mighty Atlantic pub for the celebratory fish and chips plus pint (or three) of Tribute.

Celebratory Atlantic meal...


I then needed to charge my phone to see where I was staying for the night. Other things had taken priority. A VERY good nights sleep was had followed by an excellent breakfast.

So, what to do on Thursday? I decided to have a walk up Peninnis Head...


Fine scenery

...and sit and wait for the BLUE ROCK THRUSH...hopefully? I wasn't as lucky today achieving one brief fly-by sighting thanks to another Birder. Good enough to get my Scilly tick. A BIG bonus was a lovely Wryneck which showed well briefly by the lighthouse...



I bumped into John Mahon and Luke Harman who I'd met at the RBG yesterday. We had a good chat about this and that before moving on. I said I'd give John a mention as he was complimentary about my Blog lol!

I left Peninnis around 1pm (I had given it 5 hours) and headed for Hugh Town for some lunch. I received a phone call from an unknown number. I don't normally answer but for some reason I did. It was Skybus asking if I wouldn't mind leaving earlier as the weather forecast was poor. Yet more luck. Bottom line was I flew off at 4.30 instead of 5.30 which allowed me to get home earlier. Nice.

Future thoughts...

While I was having my celebratory meal I came to a decision. Time for us to return and resume our October holiday. It's an unbeatable experience for me. Yes, I might miss something elsewhere BUT I'll see many more "good birds" in a small area while enjoying fantastic scenery and good company. I might even FIND something!! Hope Louise agrees!?

To finish...after being in the wrong place on a number of occasions I had finally connected with my most wanted at my favourite location.

Personal Twitching Utopia had been achieved.


No comments: