Friday 23 October 2020

Scilly 2020 - Day 5

We started today with a walk up Peninnis. However, we didn't get far as news broke that the Mandarin had been seen from the blind at Lower Moors. A reasonably short yomp had me "in situ" in around 20 minutes. I was alone as I scanned the Mallards and Teal (61). The view was obviously limited...


...as the hides are closed, but my luck was in, as after around 10 minutes this stunning bird appeared, albeit briefly, from the reeds...

Scilly 219

I gave it another 30 minutes but the bird failed to re-immerge from the reeds. After re-joining Louise, who was enjoying her novel, we headed back to Hugh Town for a coffee and snack, enjoying great views over the bay..

The Garrison on the hill

After our break we headed down Peninnis, as I wanted to try again for the Snow Bunting...in better conditions!

As we started to leave Porthcressa Bay I spotted a small bird darting across the bay...Kingfisher (63). I also picked out a Mediterranean Gull (64) loafing on the rocks...


The day was turning out well weather wise...

The panorama looking west from Peninnis with St Agnes in the distance

I left "the boss" to read again on one of her many preferred benches and headed for the Lighthouse. The bird had been reported in the area below, so I walked down, sat on a rock and waited in the sunshine. I was the only Birder there...


No sign, so after around 30 minutes I had a walk round. It was becoming a challenge, which makes a nice change from previous years when the annual SB has been walking around on the paths at this location. Too easy! Eventually I found it (65)...


Always a pleasure to see...


So, I finally got my fix, in superb weather...


I could have stayed longer but more Birders were arriving and it was our "change over" day so we had to head back to our digs to collect our stuff. As we were walking down King Edward's Road a Little Egret (66) flew over towards Old Town. A nice bonus.

Harping on about the great weather is intentional as things are about to change. I'm hoping the old adage of  "Bad weather, good birds" will ring true in the coming 8 days. I've positioned myself exactly were I want to be. If things work out, fine. If not, never mind, it's great just to BE here. 

I'd be a liar if I said my hopes weren't slightly elevated!!

No comments: