Friday 16 October 2020

Looking Hard

The early morning cliff walk revealed nothing of note. After a coffee it was time to score some brownie points by cleaning the good lady's car! Half way through my efforts a Birder strolled round the corner. It was Graham Speight. Graham has birded the Village long before I arrived on the scene. After a chat he continued down the Lane while I finished off. I joked about him finding something..."good".

Sure enough 5 minutes later a knock at the door...it was Graham..."Pallas's Warbler"!!! After grabbing my stuff and following him onto Seaside Road I could see him pointing up into the trees. I joined him and we both searched hard...we couldn't re-locate it.

The rest of the day was spent searching for this little jewel...to no avail. All areas were covered by us (Graham remained till late afternoon) and despite the failure I really enjoyed the company and the effort made. There were hundreds of Goldcrests to search through. I also saw a female Blackcap, a couple of Coal Tits and a few very late Swallows (3). A Treecreeper was heard by Graham and seen by Jayne (a birder from Withernsea). Mid-afternoon Graham located a couple of Yellow-browed Warblers in the Churchyard. 

So, disappointing from a personal viewpoint. The "upside" being that these jewels DO occur in my Village...in fact in my Lane!

Guess what I'll be doing tomorrow...it's my last chance? More later...

No comments: