Sunday 25 October 2020

Scilly 2020 - Day 7

10am: Decided not to go to Aggy. We've got kitted up and made our way down to Lower Broome Platform...the site of many a Rare. Fingers crossed...

Never have any luck there. I tried though. Lovely walk...

Typical habitat...

Gave it a couple of hours, then after a stroll down to Morning Point...

...a heavy shower forced us back to the flat for lunch.

1pm: The forecast was for a bright afternoon, the rain beating down on the skylight told us different. Still, got to get on with it...and all that. Once again we kitted up and went for a walk to the Dump Clump (I'm just an old romantic). Things had quietened down but the Westerlies had naturally heightened expectations. I know, I know.

There was no sign of the RBG and a new REV had also disappeared on St Agnes. I was just thinking to myself I was glad I didn't go on the early boat when...

2.01pm MEGA Scilly INDIGO BUNTING St Agnes

My word, I thought!!! Thoughts cast back to Ramsey Island, Wales, October 1996. So, not a British Tick but a quality bird that HAD to be tried for. The excellent WhatsApp group informed me that a boat would be leaving at 2.45. The rain had abated so Louise was happy to continue to Old Town for a walk and I headed for the Quay. When I arrived the expectant Birders were already forming...

Many of the locals were there as obviously this was a first for Scilly and only the third for Britain! Adam Hutt and Mick Turton were also on board from my neck of the woods. It was good to see them both. Dick Filby was also on board.

When we landed on St Agnes the group disembarked in an orderly manner and we made our way down the path towards the Big Pool. The Birders weren't hard to find and neither was the bird, as it was happily feeding on the path...

INDIGO BUNTING (Scilly 220)

After having my fill, I popped round the corner to look for the RED-EYED VIREO. You've GOT to love Scilly. After a couple of "misses" I was pleased to re-locate it in the pittosporum. Too quick for a pic'...unfortunately.

Two rather good additions to the trip list!! It was time to head for the quay for the 5.15 boat back. We didn't make the Turks Head this year as it closed early but here's a pic for the record...

Looking East towards St Mary's...

Panorama East from St Agnes...

A shaky pic' of the troops on the return...


Scilly ain't what it used to be?!!!

Species 68

No comments: