Thursday 22 October 2020

Scilly 2020 - Day 4

The diary idea didn't pan out today due to variable reception and extensive coverage of St Mary's (10.5 miles). Also worth mentioning here that time is obviously limited for blogging, so apologies for errors etc. I'll do my best!

We spent the first couple of hours walking the Garrison. Great memoroes from here and I added Grey Wagtail (2) to my trip list. Initially we'd planned to visit St Agnes but the niggling thought that the Glossy Ibis may still be present meant we stayed "local". This paid off at 10.40 when the excellent WhatsApp group messaged...

Ibis just dropped into field west of millstone Peninnis

Further messages indicated the bird had headed across Old Town towards the Airport. As we approached OT it was re-located behind the old Tolman''s Cafe. I got there asap and fortunately it waited for me...

Glossy Ibis - Scilly 217

The bird remained elusive throughout the day. We celebrated (well I did) with lunch at the Longstones adding Common Sandpiper (which on checking is a surprising Scilly tick - 218) on the way. Louise then retreated to Carreg Dhu gardens whilst I looked for the Red-backed Shrike that had been seen in the area. I took the path towards Holy Vale. I bumped into a Birder who told me the bird had been very elusive for over a week.It was my lucky day as I'd only moved a short distance when I picked it up on the bracken...


Siskin was also added. We then headed back towards Hugh Town picking up my first Blackcap of the trip at Lower Moors. After a hot chocolate we walked around the corner to Little Porth to try for the Nightingale. Within 5 minutes I had the bird hopping around on th track like a Robin! You've gotta love Scilly...

Eventually it popped up on the fence...as they do?!


A Greenshank was seen in Porthcressa Bay on the way back to the digs. I had the last half hour scanning from the garden, hoping to fluke the Mandarin. No luck but I picked up Peregrine, Merlin plus10 Swallows feeding over Lower Moors. A great day.

60 species

No comments: