Wednesday 11 November 2020

Winter Swans

As you know I like Wildfowl, hence my attraction to NDC I guess! Locally things are more sporadic. Sure we get birds passing the Village but hardly anything sticks for any length of time. Down the road fares better (as always) but even here birds can be scarce at times.

News of a decent herd of Whooper Swans around Sammy's Point, Easington yesterday got me interested, especially when it was mentioned there were 2/3 Bewick's with them. My exercise walk was decided. As I approached the car park I could see a Birder on the flood Bank looking out onto the Estuary. It was Tony from Patrington. I could see a decent number of Swans in the fields to the South, so I was curious as to what he was looking at? I had my boisterous friend with me, so I walked up onto the bank some distance away after giving him "the nod". There were some Swans out on the mud...and they were on the move.

I grabbed my camera and fired off a few pics through the gloom, as they came over the bank giving fantastic close views before they continued inland. An exhilerating experience. I then started to wonder about Tony's interest in these particular birds. He confirmed that indeed there were Bewick's amonst them! Time to check my pictures...

The initial take off...

Whooper Swan nearest and 3 Bewick's

2 Bewick's 

The area was alive with noise and activity. The Swans were particularly active with groups flying to various fields at regular intervals...



We had a walk South to view the main group...


Noble Birds



Plenty of Brents around also...


...but the star bird today was the Bewick's...a rare bird in Yorkshire these days...


I prefer Whoopers though!

No comments: