Tuesday 10 November 2020

Visible Migration

Amiss of me not to mention the 2 SEO's I had together on Sunday on the Humber...

...at dusk


......................................................................................

'Twas a bit misty this morning with a drop of rain...that wasn't forecast. Luckily, it had stopped earlier than the updated forecast!?

I decided to walk up to the farm then head North along the hedge to "the Runnel"...for a change. It was obvious (even to me) that there had been a "fall" of Blackbirds. Great birds but much overlooked due to their abundance. As with Robins (and others) our resident birds are supplimented by migrants flooding across the North Sea at this time of year. Holmpton is a great palce to experience this phenomenon. This photo makes the point nicely I feel...


A conservitive estimate would be 70 during my walk. As I approached the Runnel I could see some thrushes in a tall tree...these weren't Blackbirds...

Fieldfares (8)

I walked to the main road to enable me to walk down the other side of the ditch. As I started to walk towards the sea I heard a familiar call, not one  I was expecting. There in a lone bush, was a Bullfinch...


A nice surprise. It soon took flight and was joined by a second! They both disappeared high over the main road. The day was still dull but VERY mild for the time of year. A real bonus in my least favourite month. I treated Bud to a swim and I managed a lone Dunlin South...plus 3 Mallards!

After returning home for lunch and to do a few jobs around the house I had a ride up to Cliff Farm for another walk (without Bud). After checking the sea I walked down the hill towards Old Hive. On the way I made my way around the small pool and "lo and behold" I flushed a Snipe, only my second record this year...the bird exploded out of the pool in typical style and headed off North at great height...


I also heard a Curlew.

...........................................................................................

Ireland doing well at the moment!!!

BELTED KINGFISHER
Lesser Kestrel
Little Swift
Forster's Tern
American Herring Gull
Pine Bunting

Be nice to get a chance for a BK. Maybe one day?

No comments: