Wednesday 18 November 2020

Predicted Birds

After yesterday's blank I tried the Sewage late morning and walked South. A message from Richard informed me he'd "had" 14 Snow Buntings South plus 11 Whooper Swans! Timing eh? Still, my hoped for prediction came true...if a day late!

I started to walk South with Bud (guess that's a default situation). The wind was strong, VERY strong. So strong, it was hard to hold my bins and camera still!! The tide was out enabling me to scan the beach. I picked up a couple of Turnstones in flight. As I approached the Llama Farm (a farm/house with two Llama's, not a farm that produces Llama's!) I noticed a small group of birds bobbing around in a familiar manner. At last, I'd found some Snow Buntings (P.143, H.130) ; seven of them!

The pics didn't turn out too great (I blame the wind) but here's a few anyway...




The birds were very flighty, I was chuffed to pick them out on the beach at one stage...

Four...I think?

Also noteworthy was a flock of 28 Ringed Plovers in the cliff top field...

A sample


That pops me up to a modest 130 for the year in the Village. Still some glaring ommisions, some of which I may "get back", others long gone. 

Birds Missed...

Garden Warbler
Spotted Flycatcher
Redstart

Birds I may still see IMHO...

Bean Geese
White-fronted Goose
Gadwall
Pintail
Tufted Duck
Eider
Goldeneye
Red-breasted Merganser
Shag
Lapwing
Woodcock
Jack Snipe
Little Auk
Black-throated Diver
Great Northern Diver
Little Egret
Little Owl
Grey Wagtail
Brambling
Lesser Redpoll

Then maybe something new...

Velvet Scoter
Iceland Gull
Glaucous Gull
Lapland Bunting
...and many more!

Let's start tomorrow...with a NW wind forecast?

No comments: