Thursday 19 November 2020

Out on the Briny

Up to Cliff Farm early for a good sesh from the cliff top...

The V70 was the wind break!
 
A Great Northern Diver (P.144, H.131) hurtling South was a good start! then at 8.21 a messsage from Richard...Juv Sabs N!!

Looks like I missed it! Not one of yesterday's predictions.

I continued. A lone Shag (P.145,H.132) South was a good year tick. My mate was settled now after countless tosses of the ball over the car...

When you're mainly looking through your scope, you're obviously prone to miss things elsewhere...and while throwing the ball! Today I had a "partial miss". On one occasion when I lifted my head, I noticed a large bird heading directly towards me at great speed! After the "fingers and thumbs" moment I managed to grab a few blurred images as it arrowed off towards Patrington!

As it passed...

A classic!

then past...

...and away...

Having shared the images with other birders and having had time to "have a proper look" I'm going for Red-throated Diver...maybe a disorientated young bird? The wings do look slim but having looked at other images...not unusual. Whatever, it was a memorable sight! I had around 30 more passing.

There was a decent movement of Guillimots North. Then, a tiny Auk with a dark underwing whirring North...Little Auk (P.146, H.133). Again, not one of yesterday's predictions! I also had great views of a "close in" Razorbill briefly on the water.

Surprisingly, I didn't see any Wildfowl?

A good day with a lively sea.

No comments: