Wednesday 4 November 2020

The Wild Geese

Early dog walk at Cliff Farm on a crisp sunny morning revealed 2 Stonechats...


A total of NINE birds were seen by Richard and I. While viewing one at the Sewage I just managed to catch 4 Whooper Swans silently drifting South along the cliff top...

As you can see from my header pic...I love Pink-footed Geese! Tough, powerful, smart...and noisy! Having been on Scilly, I hoped I hadn't missed my annual skein fix. I didn't connect with any significant numbers before leaving but this morning I fared much better...that's two on the trot. A constant stream of birds passed South totalling over 1000...

10.55

12.51

13.05

13.55

Fantastic!!! The last skein was seen from my back garden...for an overdue Garden tick (68). Speaking of garden ticks...


An unusual call alerted me to this lone Redwing (69) sunning itself in a tree by the back fence. Funny how retirement helps increase your lists! It was turning out to be quite a day!

.......................................................................................

Still buzzing for yesterday's visit to NDC. I forgot to mention I bumped into Barry Bishop (not literally) in the Geoff Smith hide. It was good to see him again and catch up. I also got a message off Tim Dixon, commenting on the close views obtained of the Pinkfeet. We agreed it was probably a "one-off" situation. Just to bring me back down to earth, news came through today of a singing Cetti's Warbler by the Geoff Smith hide! My hearing isn't what it used to be...

So to Lockdown 2. Plenty of walking from the house...

No comments: