Tuesday 3 November 2020

Back to Duff

Today's plan was clear after a slow one yesterday, following a late return Sunday evening. Another lockdown on Thursday, so got to make the most of these two days. I needed a day on the Carrs. The perfect tonic.

It panned out even better than I anticipated. I arrived just after 10 and it was immediately apparent that birds were present...lots of them! NDC is very much water dependant...as one would expect from a flood plain! Bubwith Ings always floods first but it also dries up first. NDC does take some water but only really floods when the river bank bursts. However, when it does the water remains through till Spring when it has to be pumped off. Today the small areas of open water concentrated the Geese in front of Garganey hide. The difference today though, they weren't just Greylags, there were Pinkfeet (Duff 65)...lots of them!!

The Whooper Swans were massing albeit distantly...I counted an impressive 94 including many youngsters...


I HAD to go down early to Garganey Hide! When I opened the flaps I was greeted with a sight I'd never seen here before. There weer hundreds of Pink-footed Geese...and they were close...and noisy! A conservative estimate was 350. I go on about "setting" (amongst other things) I know...but this is the perfect one...for me...

Some Birders put Wildfowl down, I don't. These little Geese are stunners...

Elated to have such great views on NDC. Very special...indeed...

Looking good in a natural setting

Incredible numbers ((c3000) of Starlings were also present...

The Carrs looked well...

It was now 1pm and time for Mr C's and the obligatory chip butty. On return I set up in the Geoff Smith hide for a change of scene. It paid off when around 2.30 a quick look on the River revealed...

Always Great White Egret in my book

Fortunately it flew across the river and landed on the near bank...

I also recorded 8 Pintail, 15 Ruff, Dunlin, 500 Lapwing, 3 Marsh Harriers, Peregrine...

4 Stonechat, c50 Fieldfare.

Last word to the Pinkfeet at dusk...



A VERY special visit.


Out and about locally tomorrow, making the most of the "last day".


2 comments:

Tim Dixon said...

Wow, really jealous. Those Pinks looked fantastic - don't suppose they've ever been massed like that in front of the hide before and probably won't be again.
Just reward for putting the time in Alan. Better than a Greylag on Scilly?!

Alan Whitehead said...

Agreed Tim. Probably a one off! As you know, a great setting for them. They looked made for the Carrs. Unforgettable. Definitely better than a Greylag on Scilly!