Monday 2 November 2020

Scilly 2020 - Summary

That's it then. Another "Scilly Season" over, my first for 5 years. Why did I ever stop? I had my reasons! A fantastic 13 days with some marvellous memories...what life is all about...for me.

We covered some miles. Louise did around 50 miles (plus hills of course)... I did a few more. Plenty of exercise in the fresh air. I ended up doing 3 boat trips but there was no crowding and masks were mandatory. The strategy was to build the routes around Scilly ticks (if avaiable) and then just see what we came across. Oh and enjoy the wonderful scenery...of course. The disappointment was not finding something...good.

The INDIGO BUNTING was obviously the star bird, but as already mentioned the personal excitement was tempered by the fact I'd seen the Ramsey Island bird. Still, a cracking Scilly tick and the first English record. The vagaries of twitching struck again with many "big listers" dipping, after the Norfolk bird of 1988 was rejected.

I added 8 Scilly ticks, namely Greylag Goose, Mandarin Duck, Glossy IbisCattle Egret, Common Sandpiper, Yellow-legged Gull and Glaucous Gull.

Some of those great memories. 

An amazing sea swell last Wednesday...

...and spectacular weather in general; fabulous scenery; renewing acqaintances with many Birders; great accomodation at reasonable prices; an excellent network of topical information.

A few pics...

Dick Filby trying hard to pick out an Iceland Gull on St Agnes

Periglis Bay, St Agnes


The secret passage up onto the Garrison

Rainbow over Hugh Town taken from the Garrison

Path through Lower Moors

Tresco flora

Highlights
  • Three species of Geese on the first day was certainly unexpected...especially ticking a Greylag!
  • A Short-eared Owl after breakfast on day 2 was an excellent start. 50 Swallows at dusk over Lower Moors was noteworthy...on October 20th.
  • A brisk walk (for me) on the 22nd at Old Town finally had me connecting with the VERY elusive Glossy Ibis. My first Common Sandpiper for the Islands was a nice bonus on the way.
  • Another catch up on the 24th with great yet brief views of the drake Mandarin at Lower Moors (the only time I saw it).
  • Quality time with the Peninnis Snow Bunting on the 24th was enjoyable.
  • The 25th was monumental with the discovery mid-afternoon of Britain's 3rd INDIGO BUNTING on St Agnes, plus a wonderful RED-EYED VIREO. I've had worse days!!!
  • A smart GND and "my" YL Gull was a nice double around Porthcressa on the 28th.
  • Sneaked one of the 2 white-wingers, namely Glaucous Gull on St Agnes on the 29th.
  • Nice finish with the Cattle Egret influx.
I'll be back...next year...hopefully!

Trip Total -  84 species

No comments: