Wednesday 1 April 2020

SHORE LARKS - YES!!!

Holmpton List review postponed!

As promised I made my way down to Mill Hill for 7 this morning. Nowt...again! Much scanning and hindsight regret. Then around 7.50 three birds flew a short distance from the path into the field...SUCCESS...I had my tick! Try as I could I couldn't re-locate them? Rather pleasing though!!!

I continued to Old Hive to check for Sand Martins of which there were none. It was now gone 8 and dog walkers would soon be on the march, so I made my way back to Mill Hill hoping they may have returned to the path where Richard had seen them previously.

As I approached I scanned ahead...as you do. A fine male Wheatear was bobbing around and then... some more birds further towards the brow of the hill...SIX!!!

4 of the six SHORE LARKS present
A VERY special moment for a few reasons. Firstly I thought I'd had my chips. To have this now rare species in my Village is truly remarkable! To finally connect after Richard's initial sighting (thanks pal) last Thursday is...fortunate...to say the least. The fact I can walk here from my house is also lucky in these troubled times. A bona fide quality tick for the Village List...171.

On a (much) lower level I added Long-tailed Tit (28) to my "Garden Lockdown List".

The day belongs to the Shore Lark though. A morning that will live long in the memory...



No comments: