Saturday 18 April 2020

An ill wind...

Yesterday's highlights...

A lone Golden Plover I initially hoped was a Dotterel, as it flushed from the cliff path. The power of suggestion again raising its ugly head, with a couple being found further up the coast at Grimston...


Two of three cracking Yellow Wagtails in the paddock...


A lone Common Scoter just offshore was also noteworthy.

This morning I headed North and scored with a single Fulmar south along the beach. A small "fall" of Wheatears again with at least 6 birds present of which 4 were sticking close together. Here are 3 of them for the record...



Later, a few more jobs were undertaken before an hours watch from the bedroom. Pretty quiet...but it only takes one bird, well two actually, as I added Oystercatcher to my "Garden Lockdown"list 46. Again, remarkable really, as I've seen very little on the sea during my walks.

A quick update on my "First Dates". I've managed to beat my earliest record with the following species...

Chiffchaff - March 18th - 20 days (dubious with wintering birds a consideration)
Swallow...March 23rd - 11 days
Blackcap - April 5th - 3 days
Yellow Wagtail...April 7th - 1 day
Willow Warbler - April 12th - 3 days

Tomorrow I get a chance to beat...

Cuckoo
Ring Ouzel
Whitethroat
Lesser Whitethroat
All April 20th.

Winds out of the East at the moment and for the foreseeable. Could be a challenge...

No comments: