Thursday 23 April 2020

Check every bird!

Birding excitement can come in many guises. We all like a Rarity...don't we? An addition to a list, a foreign trip etc etc.

Today's exercise brought much excitement (I'm easily pleased). Herring Gulls are almost a constant sight cruising the cliffs here at Holmpton. Sometmes joined by Greater and maybe Lesser Black-backs. I've also had a few Fulmars (one today). I like to think I'm fairly thorough when checking the birds?

Anyway today provided a major surprise. As I was walking back South towards Seaside Road a "Gull" was cruising towards me at a leisurely pace. No surprise there I hear you cry. Except it wasn't a "Gull"...it was a Gannet!!! By the time I'd realized and sorted my camera out, it had passed by me and was contiuing North towards Withernsea...

Evocative?
I also saw my FOY Whitethroat (H.87, P.108)...

First picked up singing in Old Hive copse
Eventually it showed closer. Full of vigour and expectancy...


Cute!
Crows were still much in eveidence moving mainly south...I keep checking! Whilst checking on one occasion, 2 Shelducks (H.88) bulleted South.

House Martin would be nice tomorrow for an earliest date addition?

***I've just realized some of the posts I'd added to my labels section (see right hand column) weren't showing. Included here are past trips, significant twitches plus some personal stuff. Anyway for the record...they're all showing now***

No comments: