Thursday 2 April 2020

First Dates

No sign of the Shore Larks this morning...unfortunately. My 172nd species for Holmpton...apparently. Emphasising my lucky connection yesterday...although I feel I earnt my sighting. Nice to see some of our common birds performing well at the moment and nice to have some time to enjoy them. Plenty of Wrens singing their hearts out. The first Blackbird belting it out this morning. A small Rookery has formed on Taylor Lane by Richard's house (10 nests). A nice selection of Thrushes in the cliff top paddock with a couple of fine Mistle Thrushes showing regularly...no Ring Ouzel yet. The Garden is producing now the feeders are stocked. I've managed 28 species so far with Tree Sparrows and Long-tailed Tit being the latest to join the party.

I got the "old thunderer" out this afternoon aka my Bird Recorder programme which I have on my old Laptop. I've told this one before, like many others I'm sure. I can't transfer it, as it's THAT old!! It works for me though....literally. As it's a bit delicate these days I only fire it up occasionally which means I miss adding certain records, although my eBird back up is building up nicely. Anyway, I assembled a list of first dates for "Lockdown Year". There are some glaring ommisions but at least it should provide some fun in the coming months...and we all need that...I've already beaten my Swallow and Chiffchaff dates.

Chiffchaff 18/3/20
Wheatear 20/3
Swallow 25/3/20
Sand Martin 30/3
Sandwich Tern 31/3
Yellow Wagtail 8/4
Blackcap 8/4
Willow Warbler 15/4
Cuckoo 20/4
Ring Ouzel 20/4
Lesser Whitethroat 20/4
Whitethroat 20/4
House Martin 25/4
Pied Flycatcher 2/5
Swift 6/5
Hobby 23/5
Whimbrel 23/5
Garden Warbler 20/6
Little Tern 28/6

Hope to complete a review of my best Holmpton sightings soon...

No comments: