Wednesday 22 April 2020

Holmpton Lockdown...so far.

Just got back from a "quiet" walk with Bud. Crows passing South...none with hoods...alas. A couple more Wheatears were nice...and never taken for granted.

Yesterday morning yielded a couple of Curlew and Fulmar South plus 2 male Goosanders North. BIG bonus came in the form of a Peregrine South over the paddock, as I was heading home...


A surprisingly decent cropped image...

A powerful profile
An hour before lunch from the bedroom proved very productive with a late flurry of "Lockdown" additions....and Garden Lifers to boot. I added Lesser Black-backed Gull, Cormorant and Sand Martin. I also had great views of a female Blackcap at the bird bath...

A blur of bird and water

You may be wondering why its taken me seven years to add these species to my Garden List? Simple, I've never looked from the bedroom window with any real intent, before this enforced confinement! I'm enjoying it.

So, Lockdown so far.

Basing it on a March 23rd start I guess the first significant sighting was a Marsh Harrier (25th) seen from my front door courtesy of a knock on it by Richard! Later that morning I failed to reciprocate as I had my earliest Swallow on our walk but couldn't get him "on it". Daily sightings of a beautiful Barn Owl in the field opposite at dawn and dusk around this time, is also definitely worth a mention.
Fortunate indeed.

Next comes the undoubted highlight so far...Shore Larks. Initially found by Richard the previous week I evenually scored on April Fools Day when I found a flock of 6 on Mill Hill!

4 of them
Corn Buntings back on Snakey Lane on the 3rd was a welcome sight...



...with the first returning Sand Martins seen at Old Hive on the 4th. A singing Blackcap on the 5th was followed by brief views of a Ring Ouzel in flight on the 7th...another earliest record to savour. Another quality addition to my Holmpton List on this date was a Black Redstart, again found by Richard in the paddock...



Yellow Wagtails also joined the party on this date at the Llama Farm...



A stunning Hen Harrier that had been lingering on Snakey Lane was finally seen well on a "bread and milk run" on the 8th...




A silent Willow Warbler was a decent find at Old Hive Copse on the 12th. Turnstone and Fulmar were added on the 16th. Whimbrel fell on the 17th and the first Lesser Whitethroats were heard yesterday evening on Taylor Lane.

All birds seen/heard on walks from my house or trips to Patrington and Withernsea for supplies.

Plenty more to come...hopefully...

No comments: