Sunday 5 April 2020

Lockdown Birding

Still glowing from my Shore Lark connection! Never say never but I reckon that may have taken some getting back!?

Anyway, the last few days highlights locally. Corn Buntings (like many species ) are scarce these days, so to have birds locally is a real privilege and NEVER taken for granted. They frequent the same area every year on Snakey Lane which is handy, especially when visiting the shop in Patrington for "essential supplies". Not the most spectacular species BUT I've always liked them for some strange reason..."Fat bird of the Barley/jaggling keys" and all that...




On my return I enjoyed double Partridge action. After searching throughout the winter without success, I encountered both species within 100 yds! I feel amorous advances may have had something to do with it.

Grey
Red-legged
...and then...my FOY Lesser Black-backed Gulls...in their normal passage field...

2 adults present with Herring Gulls
As mentioned before, I find this species strangely engaging...it having a far gentler expression than its larger cousin. One of my favourite Gulls...I don't have many! So. not a bad 20 minute trip for milk and spuds.

What about "Garden Lockdown" I hear you cry...maybe not!

View from my bedroom... a sea view...just!
It's amazing what a little scope can show you though...

Canada Buoy c1.8 miles
I managed a RTD and I'm sure I can add a few more. I had a couple of hours mid-afternoon and enjoyed it immensely. Maybe I should have done it years ago?

I had my first GSW visit of the Year...


I even joined in the Common Scoter nocturnal passage "fun" with a definite audible record at 22.50 on Friday evening. Further additions are Greylag Goose, KestrelSwallow, Magpie, Pied Wagtail and Blackcap. Total now 36...strictly in and from Garden only. Village total now 73.

2 comments:

Tim Dixon said...

Roofs of those grey sheds look good for Black Red.

Alan Whitehead said...

Would be nice Tim. Stay safe pal.