Friday 10 April 2020

Holmpton's Best

I promised I'd do a review of my best Holmpton sightings. So here's my TOP 10 pop-pickers...in decending order...no hard and fast criteria...just gut feeling.

At 10Twite 14/10/16
A late afternoon walk down to the sea on School Lane. After scanning the lifeless briny for quite a while, I finally turned to head home for tea (Lancashire for dinner) as it was getting dark. A bird caught my eye in the hedge, I lifted my Trinnies and I was "gob-smacked" to find myself looking at my first and only sighting for the Village.

At 9 - Crossbill 25/10/18
Another late afternoon trip down School Lane and South towards Mill Hill. Again I noticed a movement on the cliff below. I was amazed to be looking at my first and only sighting for Holmpton, albeit briefly, as it flew North.

At 8 - Water Rail 15/9/14
At the bottom of Seaside Lane there used to be a small pond, which has recently succumbed to the coastal erosion. I used to check it regularly. There had once been a Black-bellied Dipper here. Anyway, it finally paid off when on one visit I found...again...my first and only record for the Village.


At 7 - Osprey 14/5/14
Phil and I had just arrived at the Sewage when I noticed a large raptor off shore. Even I knew immediately what it was. Great excitement ensued and Phil got a nice pic...again, my only record.  Must do better! Great to share it with him.


At 6 - Great White Egret 27/8/18
I first heard about this bird through Richard on the 25th. A further 2 days of sweating before I connected. It frequented the ditch across the road from the Sewage and also made flights in the immediate area, sometimes standing in the middle of the stubble field! A fine bird indeed and an unexpected lingering addition to the Holmpton list.


At 5 - Cory's Shearwater 23/9/12
As you're aware sea-watching isn't a passion of mine! However, in the right conditions and time of year, I try to focus as best I can. A single bird (aren't they all in the North Sea) slowly meandering North early morning. I watched it for a good 15 minutes. A quality Village addition and needless to say my only record.

At 4 - Hawfinch 8/4/19
My number one garden visitor without doubt...and what a visit it was. Richard had a sighting but I never dreamt it...or another...would end up spending a full 2 days in my little old back garden!!! No apologies for posting 5 pics...





You can never say never, BUT...I doubt if this experience will ever re-occur?

The magic bird bath at its best
At 3 - Nightjar 13/5/16
A bird was found by Cliff Farm, Out Newton. I joined the crowd and obtained great views of the bird...


Early afternoon in bright sunshine, I was driving up the hill towards the area when I saw a bird flying across the fields...it was the Nightjar!!! Not something you see every day. It crossed the road and disappeared behind the hedge. Luckily I managed to find it tucked up in the grass...


A truly remarkable record.

At 2 - Shore Lark 1/4/20
A topical addition as a solitary bird is still present as I write. Definitely not on the radar but I guess a lot of birds fall into that category...especially here! That's OK though, it makes them more special, something to cherish. This one is especially sweet as I thought "I'd missed the boat", so discovering them on my return from Old Hive was a special moment...



At 1 - White-tailed Eagle 2/11/18
Just had to be!!! I'd worked an early shift so I decided to take Bud a walk south to Old Hive mid-afternoon. Something I rarely do. Looking around, as us birders do, I saw a large raptor around 800yds offshore heading north, gradually becoming more distant as it veered east. It was BIG. I began to realize that incredibly, I was indeed looking at a WTE!!! Much jubilation ensued. Then a message saying a bird had flown over Spurn some 15 minutes earlier. I posted an update...


Sad I know...but worth saving for prosperity I felt. Fortunately/miraculously I had my camera with me...


Never say never...but I'm saying it...on this one! LUCKY...

No comments: