Sunday 13 October 2024

Scilly 24 - Day 3

I decided to have a stroll around the North Bays this morning. I scored on Porthmellon with a flock of Turnstone feeding on the seaweed. As I headed for Porthloo I heard the familiar tones of Dick Filby over the radio announcing the presence of large numbers of Cory's Shearwaters off Peninnis, some "close in". I thought (briefly) about going back for my 'scope but declined and headed down King Edwards Road...eventually! I passed the digs I stayed in with my son Robert in 1997...the Year of the COMMON YELLOWTHROAT...

This was my first trip to the end...


I found a spot on the grass and started to scan...


Sure enough I soon started to pick up Cory's with my Trinnies! Eventually I manage to record the event with my trusty Lumix...


OK, silhouettes into the sun but still remarkable from land. I saw c20 birds drifting back and forth. I wasn't going to get anything better so I returned down the road to take another look at the Short-toed Lark as I was passing. The pale Lark was easily picked out as it fed on its own. It was very difficult to get a clear shot through the weeds, so I was chuffed with this head-on image...


I was meeting the boss at Old Town, so I dropped down the trail and added Linnet (46)...


As I was approaching the bottom a message informed me that a couple of Firecrests had been seen there. Handy! I joined the tour group and soon we were enjoying the Birds. Typically mobile and elusive but I had great naked eye and Bins views. I was less fortunate with the camera!

A record shot...maybe?

After meeting up, we returned to the flat for lunch.

Rain was forecast around 5, so we headed down to Lower Moors for a couple of hours at 2. The WILSON'S SNIPE debate was about to re-appear! 

I made my way towards the ISBG Hide anticipating a decent gathering. I passed a mature Birder whom I had spoken to previously. He said there was a queue and he'd come away, as he'd seen one before, as I had. I decided to take a look anyway. Luckily quite a few were coming away now and I walked straight into the Hide and got a seat! Also the said Bird was showing well enabling me to get a decent pic...


I'll leave it to the "experts" to decide.

After leaving Lower Moors I decided to visit Porthloo after all. This turned out to be another good decision, as on arrival a Great White Egret was resting at the cliff base...


Shortly afterwards it flew West across the bay...


I also added Sanderling, Ringed Plover and Dunlin...


A Whimbrel flew across the Bay as I left.

I returned home for 4.30 to beat the rain and mentally prepare myself to watch England!

SNIPE Update: It's now being muted there are possibly multiple birds!?

Trip Total - 55 Species

No comments: