Thursday 24 October 2024

Scilly 24 - Day 14

My intention today was to visit Tresco to see the 2 Lesser Yellowlegs and 2 Serins. I was tempted by a report of a possible Marsh Warbler (a potential Scilly tick) on Bryher but it didn't get me on the edge of my seat!

Anyway a report of a Woodchat Shrike near Old Town Churchyard on St Mary's sorted that particular quandary out...and saved me yet another boat fare!

So, another yomp up the hill and down to Old Town. I soon found the hopefuls peering into the Pittosporum. The bird has been seen just prior to my arrival. The cover on Scilly is extensive. Then a report over the radio that the Bird was higher up on the permissive path. Another yomp. The group were now positioned on a steep slope looking North to another hedge and included my pal Simon.
Good directions allowed me a brief but clear flight view for my 250th Scilly Bird. A landmark I was hoping to achieve this Trip.

I gave it another 90 minutes but it wasn't seen again. However I did have a chat with Ron Johns, another legend in Birding circles who still visits the Islands. He was previously the Number 1 Lister for Britain before deciding to take up World Birding. He also told me he was on the 2 BOOBY boat trip!!! Another example of the magnetism these Islands possess...


After a rest (it was tough going zigzagging up and down the East side of Peninnis) I checked out Porthcressa in case the mobile White-rumped Sandpiper showed up. It didn't!

If it's coming...it better hurry up! Last chance tomorrow...?

Trip Total - 83 Species 

No comments: