Tuesday 15 October 2024

Scilly 24 - Day 4

Catch up post due to our first visit to the legendary Atlantic last night. As wonderful as ever!

Yesterday I made my way once again up past Buzza Tower onto Peninnis. Nothing new had broken, so I continued my plan of regularly checking Sites in the immediate area. The continuing STL was another "pull"...


...and I had a clear view on this occasion, just a pity it was overcast with drizzle. There were plenty of Scilly Song Thrushes (c20) about...



...and a couple of Redwings...



Plenty of bathing Blackbirds around also, having a wash in the puddles on the road...



After a bite and a cuppa, we made our way down to Old Town to try for the Pied Flycatcher. Unbeknown to me a Red-breasted Flycatcher was present in Carn Gwarval quarry (I overlooked the message). I joined the small group of admirers and within 15 minutes I had a decent view and pic...




This bird was high in a tree some 40yds away! Another shout out for the LUMIX.

No sign of the PF but this sighting was more than adequate compensation. Around 3pm Louise drifted back to Hugh Town and I made my way towards the Airport to try for Whinchat. Another training walk up there eventually had me at the cafe for a much needed drink. A quick chat with a Birder I recognised, who was wondering if he'd "get off" with the low cloud (he did) and then onto the field below the Airport where the Bird had been reported. Took some time but I eventually connected...


Only saw the Bird for a few seconds. I returned via Old Town Bay and added Greenshank...


Trip Total - 59 Species

No comments: