Sunday 20 October 2024

Scilly 24 - Day 10

Spent the morning around Old Town. Highlight was a GWE...

Still no luck with the Pied Fly.

An unusual yet familiar alert...

11.01 St Mary's, Isles of Scilly COMMON NIGHTHAWK one flew low over Longstones cafe towards Holy Vale/ Higher Moors 

I may have spilt my Coffee!!!

Memories of 1999 came flooding bay. Full account in right hand column.

It's now 4.10 and I've made the trek to Higher Moors adding Grey Wagtail and Snipe...


... wouldn't it be nice if I experienced a similar moment?

7.50

I didn't BUT the magic was still there. A mixture of locals and regular visitors had assembled at various vantage points in hope of a sighting. It was a clear evening which obviously helped viewing but the Bird didn't show. 


I feel the Story may not yet be over?

The walk back to Hugh Town was eased by the company of Simon from Kent. He's a regular visitor and we first met at the ELEANORA'S FALCON twitch. We shared stories of past "hits and misses" and we were back before I knew it. It was interesting to hear which Birds he'd seen. As he started younger than me, we seem to have started seeing MEGAS around the same time (late eighties/early nineties) Hope it re-appears for you pal.

Trip Total - 80 Species

No comments: