Monday 11 October 2021

Scilly me?

Last one on the October (frankly tiresome) debate on Scilly/Shetland. Promise!!

As you know I try hard to remain positive regarding this topic. Having just had my first stay on Shetland I feel I'm in a better position to make a comparison. I've already given some reasons for my preference for Scilly. Sometimes a picture tells a story better...


Also, tongue in cheek or not, I've no time for disparaging remarks about either. Rare birds can obviously turn up on both but the better experience for me is definitely in the SW.

A few more personal examples (links underlined on hover)...

1991 - My first visit when a Spotted Crake turned into Britain's first SORA. I also saw GREY-CHEEKED THRUSH. I just missed SWAINSON'S and EYE-BROWED THRUSH!!!

1996 - BLACK AND WHITE WARBLER and BLACK DUCK on Tresco followed by AMERICAN BUFF-BELLIED PIPIT on St Mary's during a two day visit. (I had two young lads). I also got LITTLE BUSTARD on the Lizard on the way home!

1999 - Arriving for my planned Teacher's week (Oct 23rd) to a CHIMNEY SWIFT at Bar Point, St Mary's which I enjoyed with Pete Greaves (he later told me he'd had CS AND CLIFF SWALLOW together flying around Buzza Hill!). We were the only two there!? The following evening I saw the unforgettable COMMON NIGHTHAWK at dusk on Bryher. Then, two days later an unbelievable trio was completed when 2 UPLAND SANDPIPERS turned up near the Airport on St Mary's. It was a good year!

2000 - Again, I arrived to a SOLITARY SANDPIPER which had been present since September. It left the next day!

2008 - Standing on Peninnis Head when news broke of a SNOWY OWL. It could have conceivably flown past us! A quick dash (I was younger then) across the Island saw us enjoying this stunner on a shed roof!

2019 - A long overdue double fell when I finally saw a YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO in Britain at my favourite location (I also saw my second ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK on St Martin's the same day) followed soon after by my HERMIT THRUSH. Both these birds had a lamentable history for me which made it doubly sweet...and both were seen on St Mary's.

2020 - An ironic record when an INDIGO BUNTING turned up on St Agnes. Why ironic? Well, it wasn't a tick for me having seen the Ramsey Island bird in 1996 but would have been a tick for many listers. Unfortunately it was a "one-day" bird.

The supporting cast is also VERY strong. 

We set off on Thursday. Birds will turn up, where they will turn up. Hopefully, if they arrive on Scilly, I'll be able to catch up with them. If they arrive elsewhere...C'est la Vie

That's it... definitively!

No comments: