Wednesday 27 October 2021

Scilly 2021 - Day 13

My report was curtailed tonight when the Bombshell news of a VARIED THRUSH on Papa Westray broke!!!!!! A truly mind-blowing bird.

It brought back great memories of my previous visits for the STELLER'S EIDER.

I WON'T be leaving Scilly...


Report of Day 13 to follow...

Where was I? Ah yes...Day 13. I decided to pop over to Tresco to try for the LESSER SCAUP. On arrival at the Quay I noticed David and Jim were heading the same way as they boarded theBoat. I joined them. Once landed we headed for the South side of the Great Pool as the sun would be behind us. Good tactics but no joy with "the Duck" or the Spotted Red'...so we decided to walk round to the Hide. As we settled in the Spotted Redshank flew into view...


...with a backdrop of Greenshank and Redshank

Nice Pose!

No sign of the LS however ther was plenty to entertain including 6 magnificent Whooper Swans...

Always special

Distant Pink-footed Geese...

We were then joined in the hide by Cornish legend Viv Stratton...a really nice guy. After a further 20 minutes we managed to find the LESSER SCAUP which was feeding actively...

As you can see the light wasn't favourable but at least we'd found it!

I had a walk over to Pentle Bay to look for a RB Merganser but I couldn't find it. Nice view though...

We returned at 3.30 in lively sea conditions but no hint of sickness...thankfully. Always OK on the inter-island boats...the Scillonian is a completely different proposition!

I walked back to the digs for a brew with Louise. Further news of a Richard's Pipit up by Telegraph came through!? Ever had one of those moments when you ask yourself can I be bothered? It would be my 100th species for the trip...so off I went up the hill...again. Fortunately the bird had remained faithful to its chosen field...


The bird unfortutely remained in the long grass at the rear of the field, so I was pleased to grab this image at 5.06. I'd achieved my species target of 100...and it co-incided with my 100 miles!

Trip Total   100 species

Distance covered   100.5 miles


No comments: