Monday 4 October 2021

Back to Basics

Enough of this pontificating about what birds might turn up where! Let's just wait and see.

This morning we went for a stroll on the Beach. It was a beautiful day. The tide was way out which gave it an almost Church-like acoustic feel. A steady stream of Gannets (mainly immatures) were working their way South, some in decent sized groups (15 - 20)...



We walked South from the Runnel then back to the Village. As we were about to turn I noticed a dark blob in the water close to the beach. It was obviously an Auk (even to me) but which one? In my experience they don't tend to flush, so I made my way down to the waters edge and took a pic...


A dark bird with a short, stumpy bill? A young Razorbill. It was great to have such a close view. The bird seemed to be asleep!

On the way back I glanced up at the 1st pill box; there was a small bird on it. First thought was Wheatear but it looked smaller and more compact. I'd earlier seen Richard who'd mentioned a Stonechat...there it was...


Quite a coincidence to get a brief view from the Beach! 

The late afternoon walk to the Cliff produced a surprise sp Red-throated Diver fairly close in...

You may be able to see the red...just!

...and a not so close Shag (P.130, H.127). A couple of late Sandwich Terns were notable also. A "hweet" alerted me to a nearby Chiffchaff by the Horse Paddock on the way home.


No comments: