Sunday 1 December 2019

"My" HERMIT THRUSH

We arrived back in Manchester at 2.30pm on Thursday after leaving Dubai at 3.30am (we had a change at Charles de Gaulle). I'd put the HT to the back of my mind during the holiday for two reasons.
 
1. I wasn't going for it!
2. It wasn't going to affect my holiday.
 
I even uninstalled my RBA App!!
 
However, by Wednesday I decided to have a peep and was amazed and delighted to see the bird was still present. I looked on the Skybus website and saw a flight available on Friday...first on, last off. I took it. Would it wait for me? My sister kindly picked us up from the Airport and we returned to my Mother's in Bury. I then broke my crazy plan to Louise which she supported, as usual. I assured her I'd take breaks when necessary...which I did.
 
I arrived I n Penzance around 7am after the delights of two Motorway junction closures and a ridiculously long 50mph section on the M6. I grabbed some supplies from Tesco and headed for Lands End Airport. It was surprisingly cool for the South West, down to 4C...slightly worrying!
 
A few more troops were on the march which was encouraging. We were off...
 

On arrival we all piled in the Skybus minibus and headed for the site. As we boarded one chap called Alan received a call from "Higgo" informing him the bird was still present. PHEW!!! Of course, when we arrived there was no sign of it!


It was still pretty chilly...for Scilly (see what I did there). I had a chat with Higgo and he gave me some more detail on the birds "Modus Operandi". Still no sign after 30 minutes? I tried slightly further afield but there was no sign of it. Tension!

Then...a bird shot low from behind us across the field and into the adjacent trees. It was a small thrush with a rusty tail!!! After another short wait the bird emerged to perform brilliantly for the rest of the morning in the bright sunshine to the SIX Birders present. Bliss...


A top "grip back" after my flawed strategy regarding the 2013 Porthgwarra bird...you may remember?

A selection...







I love it when a plan comes together...sometimes!

Tough solo journey home under the circumstances BUT always easier when you've notched. Two fantastic birds this Autumn at my favourite location. I've booked an extended visit next October.




No comments: