Wednesday 20 October 2021

Scilly 2021 - Day 6

Still steady away here, no matter, more exercise and coverage of the wonderful Isles of Scilly. This morning we headed for the Garrison which is one of my favourite areas. I camped here in 1991 on my first visit. A BIG mistake, combined with a horrendous Scillonian crossing in a Force 9. You don't forget things like that. The plus side was that it was the year of the first SORA. I guess I fell in love with the Islands from the off and have always returned with enthusiasm when circumstances have permitted.

We climbed up to the Star Castle Hotel which commands a magnificent view over the whole archipeligo...

L to R...Samson, Bryher, Tresco and St Martin's

We walked down the North side and through the Campsite to avoid the strong NW wind. There are some decent pockets of vegetation to check that have produced some great birds over the years...not this morning. We ended up at our favourite spot, Morning Point, which has a great view across to St Agnes...


We then returned via Lower Broome Platform, another legendary Birding spot...


I gave it an hour but nothing popped out. We enjoyed great views over Porthcressa Bay as we walked back...


We just made it to the Cafe before the heavens opened. After lunch Louise went shopping and I headed out to Newford Duck Pond...


...to try for a mobile Woodlark...that had been seen over here and along Pungies Lane...a long shot if ever there was one! I was aware the forecast wasn't great, to put it mildly but I was hoping it may hold off till dusk. It didn't! As I reached the site the torrential rain started and continud for the next couple of hours. Needless to say the Woodlark wasn't seen but the resident ducks had a good decrescendo laugh at me.  I did manage a Willow Warbler and 8 Siskins at the Pond.

I walked back in driving rain (and shorts) and somehow quite enjoyed it? This was an early finish and a hot bath was required. Hopefully less views and more BIRDS tomorrow...

If this was a Rarity!


Trip List 80 species

Distance covered 45.2 miles 


No comments: