Saturday 23 October 2021

Scilly 2021 - Day 9

Steadier day today...I'm 65 next month!

I made my way up to the Star Castle after breakfast to scan Samson for a while. Shelduck and Spoonbill had been reported which would be Trip Ticks. The distance is around 1.5 miles...

...but the trusty APO 62 had no problem picking out 10 Shelducks around the beach area. Now for the Spoonbills. 30 minutes of scanning Samson, Green Island and evrywhere else failed to produce a sighting. Spoonbills like to take it steady in my experience!

Around 11 a white silhouette appeared from behind Green Island and landed near the Shelducks on Samson. I had my trip tick. Some 10 minutes later a second bird joined it.

After lunch I tried the Dump Clump for YBW.

This is a dense area of cover near the School where this species turns up every Autumn. It requires patience on most occasions to get a glimpse of this smart sprite. When we arrived there was no-one present. Louise settled down to read and I waited...and waited...and waited. An hour had passed and a couple of Birders came and went. As itapproached 3 I decided to take the path into the area to see if I could get lucky. I'd only been in there a few minutes when I got lucky, especially a sit wasn't calling. The light was poor and the area dense so I was pleased to get a record shot to mark the occasion...



Again a very satisfying day re-locating some target species.

It's coming......................................................................


24th October

COMMON NIGHTHAWK
BLACKPOLL WARBLER

25th October

ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK
INDIGO BUNTING
BLACK AND WHITE WARBLER

26th October

UPLAND SANDPIPER
Aquatic Warbler

27th October

RED-EYED VIREO
AMERICAN ROBIN

28th October

OVENBIRD
GREY-CHEEKED THRUSH

29th October

Snowy Owl


Above are Birds I've personally seen on these dates (I'm certain there are others)...gives hope and puts an edge on the remaining days. It ain't over yet!


Trip Total   87 species

Distance covered   67.7 miles


No comments: