Tuesday 26 October 2021

Scilly 2021 - Day 12

No MEGA sulk here, just another day to enjoy on the Fortunate Isles...a privilege indeed! The weather reality was better than the forecast...no surprise there. We made our way NE following the coastal path past Porthmellon and Porthloo where a lone Curlew was amongst the Oystercatchers probing the sand...

Not its best side

We continued North after the obligatory coffee at Juliet's Garden. The view is very special...

A decent vantage point I think you would agree. We also saw the 10.15 inter-island boats leave...

We then walked the Northern Coastal Path past Innisidgen towards Watermill Cove. The target was Great Northern Diver. I eventually found 3 but they were way out towards St Martin's. Still, a Trip Tick (96).

We rested again at Watermill enjoying the weather and the view...

With 3 plus miles under our belt we headed for lunch at Longstones. This Cafe is strategically ideal as it's in the centre of St Mary's...it also has great food! While having lunch on the porchI had the occasional scan (as you do). I noticed an obvious Wagtail on an adjacent farm building. I was surprised to find that it was a Grey...then another! The birds were incredibly active and mobile, flying away high only to immediatly return on several occasions. It was great entertainment, even Louise enjoyed it. I love seeing species out of context...


Not great pics but they somehow reflect the occasion. They were then joined briefly by a Black Redstart! There's always something to see on Scilly.

It was now 2pm and Louise headed for Hugh Town while I walked North to Telegraph to see if I could get another view of the Hawfinch near Content Farm...and anything else for that matter. It was quite busy (for Scilly) up there. The BT boys were working on the transmitter and there were a lot of parked vehicles. Also there were a few Birders down the lane. I decided to check the Golf Course out hoping it would be quieter on my return. No Buff-breasted Sandpipers on the GC so I returned to Content Lane, which was now thankfully quiet. As I walked down the lane I lifted my bins to view the Hawthorn...it was there!

I moved slowly forward before taking a few images. It was feeding deep in the Hawthorn...

Fortunately the bird eventually made its way up near the top of the bush...

Always a good day with a Hawfinch in it.

I then returned South towards Rocky Hills toying with the idea of getting a stiff neck looking for the ghostly RBF by Rosemary Cottage. Fortunately I bumped into my old mate Martin (we go back many years regarding Scilly wanderings). He informed me a Ring Ouzel had been showing on the Sunnyside Farm trail. I chose the latter.

The scene as I arrived...

The bird had shown in both these fields...before I arrived of course. I waited. After around 20 minutes it appeared down the bottom end...

Trip species 97

It seemed reasonably settled (for a RO) making its way slowly across the field feeding...

It then disappeared for a good hour, Birders came and went but I waited. As I returned to my original spot I noticed a movement on the path...

There it was, some 10 yards away...



This is without doubt the closest I've ever been to this species in 35 years!!! The Magic of Scilly.

Trip Total   97 species

Distance covered   90.9 miles


No comments: