Sunday 17 October 2021

Scilly 2021 - Day 3

Another stunning day...weather wise. We decided it made sense to take another boat trip, this time to Bryher. Some scanning on the way across produced flight views of a Common Scoter and a Curlew to add to the Trip List.

The tide was remarkably low, the lowest I've ever seen it and it took the boatman some time to skillfully negotiate the channel to the Quay...

We couldn't use this Quay...

We enjoyed some glorious weather and some good exercise on a picturesque Island...

Looking East over Tresco

Looking North towards Cromwell's Castle

The Great Pool - home to the GREAT BLUE HERON

Off the Quay

I'm aware of the scenic pics rather than the "good birds" but I can't post what isn't here...yet. I also added Ringed Plover and Dunlin (all Birds matter). 

There had been a definite arrival of Siskins. Some incredibly tame/tired. One landed right next to us and started feeding...


There were plenty of Stonechats present (c30)...


A
Bluethroat has been present for a few days on Gweal Hill. It was reported early afternoon and after some deliberation, knowing the elusive nature of this species I decided to "give it a go". After initially going to the wrong hill I saw the small group of hopefuls. The problem was they were looking at the path I needed to travel and time was now tight so I passed. Of course the bird apparently showed shortly after. That's the way it goes.

Trip List 71

Distance covered 20.8 miles

No comments: