Wednesday 10 February 2021

Special Bunting

...for many reasons. Buntings generally aren't my favourite family but there are some crackers. Love to see Painted and Varied in Texas. My favourite on the British List is definitely Snow Bunting, which is handy, as they sometimes occur in the Village! I was fortunate enough to see them in summer plumage in Barrow, Alaska on 25th July 2007.

We've had an elusive flock of 20+ roaming the enormous arable field to the south of the Village for weeks now, although I hadn't seen them for a few days (mainly due to the gale force Easterlies). Anyway, our exercise walk stretched South along the cliff just after 10. The wind was stronger than forcast but we carried on...

Not much cover here!

As you can see it was a bit fresh. There were even icicles on the cliff edge...


Richard reported that he'd seen 3 SB but we hadn't seen anything of note by the time we reached Old Hive where Richard was stood. After a chat he headed back and we continued to the copse...to shelter!
We didn't stay that long before heading back North. A few Ringed Plovers (c30) were dotted around the field, making regular short, low flights. Once over Mill Hill I decided to take a short detour with Bud while Louise headed home to brew the coffee!

Nothing initially but then 3 small birds flew low across the field and landed about 30 yards away. Yep, Snow Buntings! As previously reported the large flock exhibited atypical behaviour and were VERY skittish but as I slowly approached these birds, they seemed less nervous and behaved more as you would expect..."new" birds? This was good news as I was hoping to get a pic or two...at last. I managed a few before heading home to thaw out...
 





Stunning little things...I've said it before and I'll no doubt say it again...So fortunate to have this species visiting the Village...


No comments: