Wednesday 17 February 2021

Snakey

I had to go to the Optician late morning (got to keep an eye on things) so a trip down Snakey and a dog relief stop produced c10 Yellowhammers and a couple of Corn Buntings. Great to hear bird song in the rising temperatures (11C). Quite a few squabbling Skylarks about also.

On leaving the Opticians in Hedon high street I heard an unusual sound. A bird...a Woodcock...in the middle of the road, having unfortunately been struck by a car. I was pleased to see after loosing a few feathers it flew off strongly down the road at head height! Definitely a sighting I wasn't expecting.

On reaching Snakey again I decided to park up and do my walk. Almost immediatly 2 more Woodcocks flushed from the roadside ditch. I managed an image at last...


Then a couple of Snipe from the adjacent field closely followed by my FOY Grey Partridge (P.67, H.66). Things were going well.

Yesterday evening I'd had a brief view of a decent number of Fieldfares and I was hoping they were still around. I walked further along the road in the direction of Holmpton, towards the Welwick turn. As I reached the turn a large flock of birds rose out of the set-a-side...Fieldfares (c300) and Starlings (c150). Quite a sight!

The Fieldfares eventually settled in some nearby trees...


Unfortunately the cloud had increased and it was very overcast now but the birds were very active and soon returned to feed in the field. I returned to the car and headed home...



As I approached the Village I got another bonus Barn Owl sighting...


The day was completed when I heard my FOY Tawny Owl (P.68, H.67) from the lounge. Spring in the air...


No comments: