Sunday 27 September 2020

Shear delight

Initially, it was bad news this morning as one of my viewpoints...is no more. The track to Out Newton now has a gate on it. Richard mentioned the problem the other day but it's now confirmed. Apparently the old chap at the farm doesn't want to maintain it. I love change!

So plan B came into operation and I planted myself in my Texas chair at the end of School lane. Rain wasn't forecast but it arrived anyway with the accompanying poor visibility. The wind was a promising true North. At one point I nearly gave up but I persevered till 10.30 and I'm glad I did as I managed a couple of Manx Shearwaters  (P.137, H.123) and at long last, a Sooty (P.138, H.124). Four darker, blunt-headed, solid looking Auks close in, convinced me I was looking at my first definite Razorbills of the year (P.139, H.125). Richard joined me briefly after he'd been down to Spurn to try for the Red-throated Pipit. He didn't connect but had better luck this afternoon. A British tick, no less.


P.S. the new handball law is ruining the greatest game!!!


No comments: