Friday 25 September 2020

Birding Reset

A couple of family bereavements this week haven't lightened the mood but HAVE put things FIRMLY into perspective! The storm I'm looking at through the lounge window ain't inspiring either.

Louise's Mother and my Mother's brother both passed away. I was at the latters Funeral yesterday and Louise is busy organsing her Mother's. Both had good innings but recently they'd both had to move into Homes and their quality of life was very poor. Obviously still a shock though.

I've covered my reasons for not travelling for the YBF but I wanted to add some more "meat to the bones" regarding the current (unsuprisingly deteriorating) position on COVID and my future Birding/Twitching plan. My Blog will be my only outlet for my views and has been for some time actually. You may or...etc etc...

The World is a different place these days and definitely not how I imagined it would be, in my retirement...to put it mildly! Mixed messages and behaviours wherever you go...if you go anywhere at all. Some being good...many not. I'm no "goody-two-shoes" but I know who I am and I know what feels...right. I've NEVER felt comfortable Birding in areas where there may be a potential trespass issue or I didn't feel welcome. As you can imagine I've seen some grim, totally selfish behaviour over the years. I'm sure you have also.

Hypocrisy abounds with many saying one thing and doing the other. Large groups gathering at some venues yet others sites are prohibited by law? It seems to be an ever changing, confused scene. One thing for sure, for me...there's not much enjoyment out there! You can be responsible for your own actions but not others...and there lies the problem with this nightmare.

I'll only be going places were I feel comfortable until the pandemic is over...whenever that may be? The majority of my Birding will be on my Patch with trips to Duff, now and again. The next MEGA I "need"...who knows? Problems here no matter where it turns up. Islands have already been discussed but a Mainland bird will attract a large crowd in possibly a tight area!? Not going to Tiree was tough, very tough but I stood by my initial position and don't regret it. We have a pre-paid (last year) holiday to Scilly booked for October (yes, another off-shore Island). My enquiries (guest houses, resident birders etc) and information gleaned regarding Tiree made it clear that I wasn't welcome there. The next few weeks will determine whether WE feel comfortable going to our beloved Scilly this year...

I hope you find a sensible and safe (for everyone) path for your Birding...and thanks for reading, I appreciate it, whether you agree with me or not!

No comments: