Friday 18 September 2020

Just saying

An insight into my decision not to travel for the YBF.

An observation from a Scottish Birder...

"actually many locals really aren't happy about tourists irrespective of whether they have surfboard, bins or campervan. They're equally concerned and worried about all of us. Covid taking hold in Tiree's crofting community would be horrendous... catastrophic in fact. This is why as Birdspotter says some accommodation aren't taking bookings even despite possible windfall of this Flycatcher. Folk whose business is tourism don't just refuse tourists without very good reason"

From John on Tiree:

"I'm afraid not. We are facing a barrage of bad publicity on the island just now, despite our best efforts re: Covid19 protocols and good behaviour all round, so we have been forced to close the gardens from tonight. The bird was very hard to see today and was mostly buried deep in the back of the gardens, with almost everyone getting very poor views (unlike the previous 2 days). I am therefore afraid that we won't be able to let any birders in this weekend. I appreciate that this will be very disappointing for your friends but trust you understand the very difficult position I am in here, many thanks John PS I think there's a very good chance it will clear off tonight in any case with clear skies and light northerly winds forecast..."

In no way is this a "holier than thou" post. It just explains my personal reasons for not going (it wasn't easy, I can assure you). I'm not judging anyone who travelled to see the bird. Onward...

..........................................................................................

3 Stonechats in the Village today. Richard had one on Seaside Road and I had a couple at the Llama Farm...


The local Farmer had unfortunately levelled a nice area of "rough stuff" that was attracting a decent number of Tree Sparrows (c40) and Goldfinches (c30). It was easier to see them BUT as he was ready to plough the field, that area of decent habitat will be no more.

Just after 11 a message from Richard informed me he'd "had" 4 Crossbills in his neighbours garden. He kindly invited me round but they'd departed.


No comments: