Sunday 20 September 2020

COVID Twitching - the future?

Probably as good as time as any to "ping a (cathartic) post" about my current thoughts on Twitching in these strange times...you may or may not be interested!

As you know I like to think I'm pretty keen and have a modicum of determination. I've travelled far and wide throughout Britain to see Rare Birds over the past 30 odd years. I've had good luck and bad. Lots of memories, again good and bad! I'll always love the "thrill of the chase"...it's in the blood.

The world is a different place now though...sadly, although you wouldn't know it looking at certain/many areas...e.g. Seaside resorts! I'm fortunate to live in an isolated Village out here on the East Coast of Yorkshire. As in all things you can control your own movements but not those of others!! There lies the problem with COVID. Let me just (diplomatically) say, some people are more responsible than others.

Regarding the current MEGA, it's a personal choice (obviously) not to travel to an isolated Island and as already said...to each their own. I know many Birders who have travelled and individuals will always justify their position including me! I like to think I'm not over sensitive (I've played at Old Trafford and Anfield you know...lol!) but my personal view and stance precludes my participation. This wasn't an easy decision (to put it mildly!!!) but I feel it's the correct one...for me! I can and already have said...No. I'll just have to polish my ALDER and ACADIAN FLYCATCHER records lol! I'll whisper this...Empid Flycatchers aren't the most stunning of species...it's the rarity value...of course! Every Rare isn't " a cracker" though?

Numbers: I'm keen on a list...as most Birders are BUT it's personal, I'm not in a race to the top, somewhere I'll never be...that's fine. I've seen well over 500 now (which was my lifetime goal) and recent additions have been very memorable indeed...see below.

Future excursions (and there will be some) will be made dependant on the situation. My Charter days are behind me now I'm retired and so are my "have to tick" days. Twitches by their very nature usually involve large crowds (unless remote islands are involved of course). There are definitely different "types". A half dead OVENBIRD on Scilly springs to mind. An exceptional "record" BUT a pitiful sight indeed. On the other side of the coin my YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO and BLACK-BROWED ALBATROSS connections were fantastic, as was my return trip to Papay with Steve for the STELLER'S EIDER. That's enough name dropping. Who knows what the future holds regarding this damn virus. I won't be going anywhere there may be a problem...for me, others or both. 

Everyone has an opinion...that's mine!

Maybe I'm just getting old?

No comments: