Sunday 19 July 2020

Spurn Tick!

I was nearly home from the Peak District on Friday and had just entered Snakey. The farmer was ploughing the cropped pea field which had attracted large numbers of Gulls. As previously mentioned Richard had seen a decent number of Mediterranean Gulls (P.117, H.104) here a few days previous, so I stopped for a brief look, as I was knackered after a long day.

I soon picked up at least 5 birds and rattled a few pics off before continuing home...




Not the best but nice to see.

Onto today.

Three Cattle Egrets passed through Spurn on Wednesday but hadn't lingered (as is their won't). No twitchable records...as far as I'm aware? I realize they're on the increase in Britain and are now breeding and spreading North. So, I was hoping for another "stab".

Maybe not so soon though...as positive social media early doors in the form of Bird Information on Twitter and Whatsapp...


8.48 Cattle Egret circled the Warren then flew South


Another fly-by! I prepared for our morning constitutional along the cliff top.


9.00 Cattle Egret landed in Well Field viewed from Sykes's field.


A chance! I gave Louise "the look" and I arrived at Kilnsea sharpish but my rusty knowledge of the local geography counted against me (no excuses). Where was Sykes's Field? It's strange as the years go by you can lose touch with the latest developments...or at least I can. I rang John Hewitt. He gave me directions (thanks John) and I arrived at the access point. I made my way through the gate and saw the small group of local admirers. The bird was still present but wasn't viewable in the long grass. After around 5 minutes I got a brief but conclusive view. I had my tick (Spurn 308).

I messaged Louise and returned for our walk.


12.19 Cattle Egret still on Canal Scrape


I hadn't managed a pic' earlier, so I returned to the triangle and "parked up"...eventually! I didn't fancy the hide ...for obvious reasons, so I made my way along the canal bank hoping it would be viewable from there. It was. Still tough to see through the reeds...but I managed...


A touch of judicious manoevering (without losing my balance) enabled me to get a slightly more satisfying view...


A quality addition.

I only really started taking notice of my Spurn List after we moved to Holmpton in 2012. Living so close now, I started to take more notice of the gaps in my list. Just a bit of fun. The Green Woodpecker of March 19 definitely sticks in my mind...

Another quality Spurn tick
Hopefully a few more to come?

Phil's having a go for the BIG 1 tomorrow. Tempted to join him?

No comments: