Wednesday 8 July 2020

BBA - postscript

I'm afraid I told a porky on my last post. Further to an exchange of messages with John Harwood from Scarborough, I've decided to post the "conversation' we had, to hopefully give a flavour of the excitement of "the moment".

Hi John,
Things turned out rather well after our drenching earlier. I was lucky after wimping out to the car to warm up. What a day!!!

Hi Alan
Couldnt believe how lucky we were , I saw your arms raised in victory, did you see it on bartlett or grandstand where i saw you ?
I heard somone shout "get in" as it appeared in front of us. SO GOOD.
many on the viewpoints to the south missed it as it circled us a few times then flew north.  

Hi John
That was my shout on Grandstand! Unforgettable. Yes, cruel how it u-turned. I'll never forget the birders on Bartlett swinging round as it passed them!! Then the moment when it came into view sooooo close. Glad you connected.

Hi Alan
Luvved the day, your shout and victory wave was precious ! I was stood with Chris Bradshaw ex BBRC man and worldwide traveller he needed it for a lifer.  So everyone was happy on grandstand.
I was lucky to see the Oct 2016 flyby there just after watching the eastern crowned warbler  but the views this time were "unbelievable". Good to see you Alan, must chat next time we meet.

There you go. Can't buy it in a bottle!!! After careful consideration and reflection I've decided to elevate the BBA to "numero uno" in my Rush Birds. The NIGHTHAWK took some shiftin'.


In contrast...a controversial Shearwater was seen today off Portland Bill. Looking at Collin's, I'm none the wiser. I've not selected this bird...

I may be selecting a visit to the Peak District soon though...

No comments: